Sound stops but track keeps playing

I am having a very similar issue - I think it began around the same exact time as well. Usually about 1-2 minutes in Roon will skip to the next track and the play bar will keep going but I will hear no sound. This happens only on one zone out of my 4.

Core: NUC i7 w ROCK, 1.8 Build 806 (as of today, problem existed before)
End Point: Late 2014 iMac i5 over WiFi, Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies connected directly with USB
NOTE: I have also tried making the local iMac into the core and the problem still persists.
Other end points that are still working: All 3 are Chromecast Audios over WiFi.

If it’s not helpful to combine these issues we can split my specific issue off, but it sounds very similar to me.

I made a new zone by enabling the “System Output” of the iMac - if I then select my WA7 through the iMac sound settings instead of Roon, the same thing happens (music stops). If I let the iMac Speakers play the music it keeps going.

@LMP Thanks for joining in. We may split these out if they become obviously separate issues, but I’ll do some looking for similarities. Sound playing then going silent while the play bar continues to advance is the primary symptom I’m looking at right now.

So outof 4 zones, 3 are Chromecast and are working properly, right? The problematic one has the Fireflies. Then, when you’re playing through system output, it works unless you involve the Fireflies?

@LMP and @Jason_Boucher
If you don’t mind, I’d like to get logs plus timestamps from both of you so we can identify at what point the problem is triggered.

For recording timestamps, play tracks as normally. When it stops making sound, please note the local time/date as well as the name of the track that is playing. If you can do this for 3 tracks or so, that would be most helpful.

Instructions for pulling your logs are here. Please follow instructions carefully.

If you would prefer, you can send the link privately by sending an email to contact@roonlabs.com and use the subject line [Kirsten-Logs]

1 Like

Those different outcomes that Jason listed are exactly what I’ve seen as well, including the quick pop up and “Tracks loading slowly” - but that’s only occasionally.

Onto the logs… I actually just listened to a full album start to stop for the first time in ~a month. So, that’s bad for troubleshooting but good for music consumption. I was changing a lot of things/restarting a lot yesterday and was still consistently having the issue, so I can’t really say what changed over night. But, I will come back with a log if it start happening again today.

And Kirsten, you were correct on your status of my issue (3 of 4 zones working fine, system output working fine, only issue was with the Fireflies).