Soundtracks Anybody?

Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova
Once (2007)

GH

1 Like

Alex North
Dragonslayer (1983)

North’s score for Dragonslayer is highly layered, complex, and intelligent, but so much so in every regard that he completely loses all the primordial excitement and magic inherent in the genre. As Trevor Jones often remarked in the following decades, the job of a composer in this kind of genre is to balance the alienating fantasy elements on screen that audiences cannot relate to in their own set of experiences with music that is rooted in a palette that those audiences can indeed understand.

Alex North

2 Likes

Alex North
The Agony & The Ecstasy (1965)

Alex North’s best-known period-setting film score is the music he wrote for Stanley Kubrick’s Spartacus – understandable since that movie was a monster hit – but his music for Carol Reed’s The Agony and the Ecstasy may be his finest body of music for a period subject. (allmusic)

This version includes some 10 bonus tracks!

The Agony

Animal Collective
Crestone (2021)

Probably too many short tracks that are little more than sounds for the film I assume. However, not far short of being a good album. In that sense, it would take developing a few of the purposeless tracks in terms of an album, rather than a soundtrack that has the associated images.

Animal

Not listened to this in a long time.
Maybe I need to try out some of my other soundtracks again.

2 Likes

Great movie! :+1:

1 Like

4 Likes

1 Like

Guess Roon saw that i have lots of soundtracks (aka film scores) and made me a playlist. Jerry Goldsmith. Only the best!

3 Likes

Just curious how people on here deal with missing tracks on soundtrack albums? I find that some of the tracks listed as Unavailable are available if you search for them, so I guess it’s possible to rebuild the actual complete soundtrack as a playlist, but this seems like it would be pretty labour intensive. (This below is from Ocean’s 12 by David Holmes.)

Love the movie! :+1:

1 Like

3 Likes

RoonShareImage-637960631741888970

5 Likes

3 stars lol

Just received this 2 disc limited edition from La-La Land Records. It’s a bit late to listen on the main system, but so far sounds great on my headphones (NAD Viso HP50). I’m loving all the extra material on this release not found on the regular soundtrack release. :grinning::+1:

2 Likes

Which version are you listening to? That’s the original LP cover, but lists Goldsmith as conductor (which he did on the Varese re-recording).

4 disc set. Looks like it’s on Qobuz as well.

5 Likes

A new release from La La Land Records :+1:

I’m also looking forward to their release of “FIELD OF DREAMS: REMASTERED/EXPANDED LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)” at the end of this month.

2 Likes

Mine is Verese album released 2004 - Back cover says music composed & conducted by Alex North. Just looking at the liner notes it seems Goldsmith rerecorded a number of North’s scores.

3 Likes