‘Source First’ or ‘Speakers First’

I’m not sure I understand the rationale in your statement. Care to elaborate / educate?

It’s simple, the above is just a quote from someone who prioritizes speakers over sources (DAC/streamers/turntable/CD/LP/Hires Streaming). My impression is that Apple Music + Airplay should be more than sufficient for those folks, no need to spend money for Roon/Qobuz/Tidal.

1 Like

I get it. Except, I’d state it a different way. I’m not saying to deprioritize the source just move the timing of the purchase. I’m saying “speakers first” and then go work on endgame source. Enjoy your speakers while to swap in / out electronics.

An iPhone using Apple Music over Airplay to an Airport Express into a ~$1,000 DAC into an $8000 pair of speakers is going to sound significantly better than a Linn Klimax DSM into a pair of ~$1,000 speakers. That’s why I say speakers first. You can always, and pretty easily, upgrade your source all day long every day and the logistics are a ton easier than speakers. Putting together an endgame source into speakers that need constant upgrade to match that source seems silly backwards to me.

2 Likes

Very interesting, out-of-the-box point of view, and surely it is debatable.
Are you somewhere near a good, reputable hi-end hifi dealer? I would suggest that you go there, have a demo, and rethink…

1 Like

Depends on what you are selling. Nice to see a return to the 90’s and this discussion.

Has anyone tried putting blue paper under their source or aligning the screw heads on all their kit yet?

1 Like

I’ll bite

iPhone >> AE >> Chord Mojo >> Decware SE84 >> Shahinian Obelisks

Klimax DSM >> Kondo Ongaku >> Snell K mk1

3 Likes

Debatable honestly. My closest dealers either have limited sources to listen to or are not interested in putting together systems which don’t hit a margin worth their time. Other dealers in my area simply don’t have speakers or sources that are on the lower end of the price range because they are done competing with the direct sellers in that space. I much preferred shopping and buying things decades ago instead of this current dealer environment for sure.

However, my opinion was formed over a couple decades of playing in this hobby, research, my own purchase decisions, listening to gear of both my own and friends and demos, and I’m fully aware that it’s an opinion.

1 Like

Mullet system. Had far more expensive and heard a lot worse. Very satisfied.

1 Like

Can’t really have one without the other, I think there should have been a third choice. I weigh them all about equally… Since I design and build most of my own gear the system is in a constant state of evolution, mistakes get replaced with new ones, err improvements. :smiley: You can probably make a good argument for any reasonable approach - if you have no intention to continue to refine the system then closely matched components in the same category might result in the best overall balance unless you can score a deal or two in higher performance/less economic categories.

In a way, I can understand this rationale.

In 2009 I bought a pair of Linn Majik 140’s. At the time I bought my speakers, they were ‘fed’ by a Majik (basic level) preamp and streamer, and a single four-channel Majik power-amp (C4100).

Things move on. The 140’s are now ‘Aktiv’, with two C4100’s, and they are ‘fed’ by better electronics. But I still have the same speakers I originally bought thirteen years ago. It’s just that my ‘speakers’/system sound so much better now.

3 Likes

Actually HEADPHONES first

My speakers are all Bluetooth for background, real listening is headphones

in the Mood (or not)

The Music

Speakers (with the right Amp) …grrr

Amp (with the right speakers) …grrr

Source (Digital sources have improved soooo much)

1 Like

The answer is speakers first. However, I used my apple tv to stream music the other day because I was already on that input in my living room and was just doing stuff around the house. It was so bad as a source.

I used to think this way too, that the speakers were the most important. In fact most consumers of “consumer audio” think exactly this, and Roon is very popular with this segment, so the survey results make sense.

I can assure you that very few people who have a true high end audio system prioritize this way. Good speakers can never correct for a flawed source. Similarly, a high end amplifier will only amplify the imperfections of a flawed source and then pass them on to the speakers. The equipment needs to be balanced as a chain, as others, including @cary_vokes, have wisely pointed out.

Roon fits nicely in both “high” end and “consumer” end segments because you can save and stream high res audio, though many choose not to (note exhaustive MQA discussions).

Of course everyone is open to their own opinion, that’s what’s great about this hobby. I do encourage those who disagree to audition a true high end DAC–dCS, Esoteric, Boulder, MSB, etc.–it may take your listening experience to an entirely new level, and change your mind.

4 Likes

Absolutely well said!!!

It is not about technical correctness of a DAC, it is about rendering music at the analog reproduction.

1 Like

Throw a serious ROON core, 2 or 3 quality different audio network switches, good cables, maybe LPS if needed and a Ethernet filter at you digital front end. Then enjoy the rabbit hole outcome.

so glad that you agree. keep smiling and don’t forget “it’s always a good day for something”

1 Like

I highly doubt that the listening experience will be taken to an entirely new level, what ever this should be….

What is a flawed source? DAC below $10k? Every DAC for a couple of $ is nowadays so good beyond what a human ear can hear, surely not beyond what ones mind think they can hear. :wink:
Same with amp, transparent amps are not rocket science, even some costs like a rocket.

It’s totally the other way around, if your source, amp combo cost $200k, it will sound crappy with crappy speakers in a crappy room. Your source will never make up for this and I can assure that you will have way more fun with great speakers in a great room, even your source might be „crappy“ (as I said before, it is not complicated today to avoid a crappy source).

2 Likes

Everybody knows that, but that is not what the OP’s question is about.

Yep. My opinion is that high end audiophile equipment are for consumers, not pros. While pros also like and use high end equipment, they also think about function/cost and return of investment - making music for us with it.

Some of the best selling records these days are made with a laptop and a $300 microphone. And that is also the story of today’s sources: They are cheap and very, very good.

On this comment Sir, I can assure you, you are sorely mistaken. But don’t take my word for it. Just audition any of the brands I previously referenced.

2 Likes