Specifying location of iTunes library on new MacBook

I have recently replaced a (very) old MacBook pro with a new model. I used migration assistant to move everything from one to the other. The one thing that hasn’t worked is that Roon no longer looks at my iTunes library. In Settings>storage I have \192.168.157\music…this drive is not available , which I sort of understand. However I have no idea what the descriptor means (it was set up for me by a knowledgable friend) or what to do to find the new location in this format. I think I have the same issue when looking for a location for backups - backups>browse has the same identifier and an ‘error loading folder NotAvailable’ message. Am I missing something really easy or is it more complicated ?

Steven Bond

My first instinct is that this will be pretty easy (especially since you used Migration Assistant), but I’m just making educated guesses about how your friend set things up. From what you’ve mentioned so far, it sounds like:

• All your music was stored on your old MacBook
  • All your music is now stored on your new MacBook
  • Your Roon Server (formerly Roon Core) is running on a separate device (ROCK/Nucleus/other computer)

Does that line up with your understanding of your setup?

Colin - you are correct. My iTunes library is now on my new mac. My roon server is a nucleus and I run roon through my mac.

Does your new Mac have a different IP address?. If so then that’s the reason why Roon can’t find your music.

yes it does. Ive found it via system settings> network. I try to type it into roon>settings>storage adding // at the front and /music at the end and all I get is the red banner of death 'an unexpected error has occurred.I’m not sure how I’m expected to deduce a solution from that ! Any observations are welcome.

I have not used migration assistant in some time. But did you make sure on the new MacBook Pro that you have “File Sharing” enabled in Settings under General and that your “music” folder is shared?

I hope you did not use Migration Assistant to move Roon from your old Mac to the new one? That is likely to cause problems. If you did, then it is best to unistall Roon completely from the Mac, delete all the Roon application folders and do a fresh installation.

Scott_z - I didn’t check for shared folder before the transfer although given that everything was working I am sort of assuming that it was. I have since ensured that to be the case since migration.

Geoff_Coupe : I did use migration assistant, to be honest, as an uninformed user, I really had no reason not to. Regarding the uninstall , this fills me with some anxiety so I’d like to be clearer. I uninstall Roon by moving the app to trash ? I reinstall by going onto the Roon website and clicking on download Roon for Mac ? What/where are the Roon application folders ? I’m afraid I’m a car driver , not a someone who goes under the bonnet type !

I used Finder > go >alt >library and found two folders :- Roon and Roon Server. Do I also need to delete both of these before reinstalling the roon app ?

Yes, then reinstall…

I deleted the roon app, then the two folders in user library and for good measure rebooted my mac and reinstalled roon. I then tried General>storage (the old watched folder was listed as unavailable)> +Add network share > network share location > smb:// I P Adress/music. I get the same as before : Red banner ‘unexpected error’. I am very confused !

Is your Roon Server on your new MacBook? Or is it elsewhere…

My roon server is a nucleus running version 2.0 (build 1388) production. (latest version). I have two iPhones and two iPads which work as remotes and the Roon on my MacBook which I use to manage playlists/tags etc. Everything works in the new environment ( including roon arc) except I cannot point at my iTunes library( on the mac) and more importantly, I cannot set up a path for backups.

Not sure how or if Roon can handle external libraries. The best thing that you can do is put your music on an external hard drive and connect that straight to the Nucleus. That will guaranteed work.

Of course Roon can handle external libraries connected via a network share. The trick is to get the share location and access credentials correct.

Right, so since you are using a Nucleus, then you need to set up Network shares to access your new iTunes playlist library and a new Backup location on the MacBook.

Where are your iTunes music files currently held? On the new MacBook? And have you set up a Watched Folder to this location?

I thought one of the fundamentals of Roon was that it ‘acted like a conductor of an orchestra’ pulling music from iTunes or tidal (in my case for example) and sending it to any output source. And it did - it was brilliant and after my trial period I signed up for a lifetime membership. That’s why it’s so frustrating that I seem to have lost a key area of functionality that has been extensively used by me. I think your suggestion might work but I must admit I’d resent having to work around a Roon problem for Roon - it’s not what I signed up for.

Look, you had a friend set up your original system. You’ve moved to a new MacBook, we just need to set things up again - or you can call upon your friend to do it…

Oh dear !! I followed the instructions that you sent and … something happened ! unfortunately both good and bad. I created the path and Roon started to download files ( I saw over 7 out of 17 thousand) , so I went to make a cup of tea feeling somewhat optimistic. When I returned I had a watched file active although it only said about 400 tracks. More puzzling, The Roon app symbol has disappeared from both the banner at the bottom of the screen and from my apps folder ! I’ve just checked roon on one of my iPads - I have a connected folder and it is importing files at a snails pace (554 so far) - perhaps this is normal ? So as we stand , I have a (slow) connection but that’s huge progress but no ability to run the roon app on my mac unless I download it again ?

It would seem that the new installation is starting from scratch and creating a brand new library. You should have been able to edit the Network share filepath to point to the new location on the new Mac, and that would have preserved your existing library.

Can you post a screenshot of Roon’s :gear:> Storage screen so that we can see what you have set up?

Here’s how you provide a screenshot: