Spotify Connect on your RoonBridged Pi - the even quicker & easier way

Following up on these dablings on installing librespot on a Raspberry Pi, community member @Tony_Reimann kindly referred to RaSpotify (released sometime after the original thread): a fully packaged librespot for the Pi, installable by copying-and-pasting one single line of code.

After installing RaSpotify, your Pi will appear as a Spotify Connect endpoint. It can live in harmony with Roon Bridge (make sure playback has ended on one before switching to the other) on a distribution of choice (DietPi, Raspbian).

All info here: https://github.com/dtcooper/raspotify

You may want to edit the config file to set a different name and to ensure the highest quality stream (320kbps):

nano /etc/default/raspotify

Change #DEVICE_NAME=“raspotify” to DEVICE_NAME=“Your-name-of-choice” (remove the #)

Change #BITRATE=“160” to BITRATE=“320” (remove the #)

That’s all – enjoy! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How is this different from the Spotify connect install from within dietpi?

In DietPi, the installation is for Spotify Connect Web, which needs a developer key and uses the old, deprecated Spotify API, that has been shut down by Spotify some time ago.

@Dan_Knight: you may want to replace SCW with RaSpotify in DietPi if possible?

Sorry noob question, having problem with changing alsa playback option on the spotify connect.

Its on card 2 accoring to aplay -l
Kindly please let me know what should i change to enable the spotify connect to use card 2 on my raspberry pi using dietpi software

Best regards
william
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: vc4hdmi [vc4-hdmi], device 0: MAI PCM vc4-hdmi-hifi-0 []
card 2: AB12 [QNKTC USB DAC AB-1.2], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

Is there a way for raspotify on Allo usbridge?

Thanks

Yes I have it running. I manually installed it on Dietpi using the instructions on the github page rather than using the installer which appears to check it is running on a RPi

â—Ź raspotify.service - Raspotify
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/raspotify.service; enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2017-08-30 21:07:45 NZST; 11s ago
Process: 6232 ExecStartPre=/bin/chown raspotify:raspotify /var/cache/raspotify (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 6229 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -p 0755 /var/cache/raspotify (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 6235 (librespot)
CGroup: /system.slice/raspotify.service
└─6235 /usr/bin/librespot --name USBridge --backend alsa --bitrate 320 --disable-audio-cache --device plughw:CARD=T2,DEV=0

Aug 30 21:07:45 DietPi systemd[1]: Started Raspotify.
Aug 30 21:07:45

Same here. Manual om Allo board. Changed config to change device… Succesd!

Does this allow any user on the local network to play through the spotify connect endpoint ? Or must the spotify client be logged in as the same user as the endpoint uses ?

I have not tried, but any (premium) Spotify instance should be able to play, regardless of account.

I’ve been able to install Raspotiy/Librespot successfully and can leverage my Raspberry 3 + Justboom Digi Hat as a Spotify Connect endpoint. The only issue is that the volume in my Spotify App (Android) always starts out at 100% which is way too loud. Is there a way to set the initial volume to say 10% or something?

Bump. Wondering if this is in dev plan for DietPi. @Dan_Knight

Yep, planned for v158:

1 Like

Just installed new DietPi, v158 with Raspotify onboard. But there is no sound. As I understand there is a need to change audio output in Raspotify? Any advice how can I do it?

SOLVED: found the answer. aplay -L command helped me to understand that my device is not hw:1,0.
In settings file I had to add --device CARD=Audio (external NAD DAC) and voila! everything’s fine. Thanks @RBM once again.

1 Like

Please can somebody explain how to setup Spotify Connect on DietPi? I have an RPI 3 with DietPi installed. I can access the DietPi web UI by browsing to the IP address, and Roon works great (using Allo DigiOne).

I understand that I need to access the terminal and run a Curl command to install Raspotify. How do I get to the terminal?

I have not enabled SSH - I don’t know how to. When I plug in a monitor to the HDMI port on the RPI, I don’t see anything. The RPI seems to be unresponsive to the USB keyboard I attached also.

Mac or Windows environment?

I have a Mac

On OS X, open your Applications folder, then open the Utilities folder. Open the Terminal application. In terminal enter ssh root@192.168.0.100
Replace the IP address in the command with the IP address of your RPi running dietpi. The password when prompted is dietpi

That should get you ssh access where you can run dietpi-software and install raspotify.

I should add that I am not a Mac user so I may have got this wrong.

1 Like

Thank you Tony!

Trying to get this to work and below is my output for my ifi DAC:
card 1: Audio [iFi (by AMR) HD USB Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

I added --device CARD=Audio

No success, do I need quotes around “CARD=Audio”

Thanks

Try --device plughw:Audio

1 Like