Spotify integration with Roon, Please vote

Crikey. Yeh that’ll be epic. Need to sign up for email notifications for when tickets go on sale. Probably on sale during this year’s or right after. Then need to figure out if the dates fit with life lol.

Tickets go on sale in October. Last week June(ish) actual festival.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that… I wasn’t aware of that issue. To be honest, Spotify is an in-the-car or at-work thing for me, where it would be hard to hear these artifacts.

The more of these things I read about, the more I am inclined to just go back to ripping optical plastic and downloading from HD Tracks / Acoustic Sounds. If you read the attached link, it seems this isn’t unique to Spotify and one could imagine that the Universal catalog contains watermarks for everyone that streams (maybe even Qobuz, TIDAL).

Audible watermarks degrading sound on Spotify premium

1 Like

The infamous Universal watermarking wasn’t just limited to streaming apparently… there’s many discussions over the past years, of people hearing it with HDtracks purchases…

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/watermarking-what-do-we-know.4871/

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/hd-tracks-watermarks-on-some-files-beware.329255/

https://www.mattmontag.com/music/universals-audible-watermark

Huzzah! Well, I guess it’s back to ripping optical plastic. I have yet to take the SACD ripping plunge, though I have a compatible Pioneer BD player.

Or, maybe just ignore anything from Universal Music Group. Good thing they are a small, indie label with few titles :crazy_face:

1 Like

Voted.

However I wouldn’t mind if Roon could just act as a Spotify endpoint so I can leave my output chain unchanged without having to switch between Roon or Spotify inputs on my amp.

I haven’t tested Tidal as Spotify still is king for electronic/hard rock genres I prefer.

2 Likes

They stream 320 vorbis in their native app only. If they do it on bluesound, i can’t say. They don’t for sonos. Regardless, a/b of their 256aac vs apples should be be an easy test to see for yourself, since you also have both services, assuming you have a Chromecast or connect device around to try. Whatever they are doing for aac encoding, it’s not a high quality output, maybe they’re using fast settings to encode on the fly rather than the high quality settings. Apples aac and any aac I’ve encoded from my own rips all sound decent… Spotifys sound like old mp3s. I stopped using Sonos with Spotify and just went usb after i discovered that.

Radio, if i get a chance I’ll have to assemble some quick playlists for you in another thread sometime in the next week or two showing the obvious patterning they have. Each service has a pattern. Though if you want to keep enjoying it, don’t read it… You can’t unsee it. :wink:
Deezers pattern is repeating seed artist every 2 to 5 tracks, but different stuff between. Tidals pattern is similar but seed artist is every 3 to 6 tracks, but also may pick more “hits” while deezer goes a little deeper. Apple and roon are actually similar. It will veer into deep cuts but sometimes a bit too deep to the point of being unrelated, and both will stop randomly and unexpectedly after playing for a while.

Spotify does the cd carousel thing. The random interspersed tracks may be truly new and deep… But only when spending enough time to hear so much of the same so often. Note the daily mixes don’t differ from this, only radio, and radio had had that problem for at least a decade, which is why I’d left them to begin with.

Qobuz: see also: Roon :wink:

Still if i get a chance and if you’re interested and don’t mind knowing the pattern to spoil it, I’ll try to screenshot the patterns from different services for you while i still have them all. Roon, and apple, from what I’ve seen don’t have a pattern (a blessing and a curse), Spotify, deezer, Google, and tidal do… Though Spotify is the only one with a layered repeating pattern. The others only pattern the seed artist, not the rest of the match. (Though deezer does also throw other tracks from some of the albums on close proximity.)

For Bluesound Node 2i, it is 320 Ogg/Vorbis. See:

https://helpdesk.bluesound.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=4744&p=22668

2 Likes

Huh. I wonder why they treat bluesound specially?

Probably because Bluesound actually supports Ogg playback.

1 Like

True, Sonos doesn’t i believe, but Chromecast does.

Like Sonos and most Spotify Connect devices. The Bluesound gear is not special in that regard…

Chromecast is more the exception.

Sure thing, that would be cool. I only asked out of general interest.

Whatever pattern seems to be bugging you doesn’t bother me at all but just out of interest I wanted to see what these radio playlists looked like. Different things annoy us all in different ways.

A picture of an example (or two) is far more informative than paragraphs of text trying to describe what subjectively bugs you…

I think you have that backwards, but whatever…

Spotify Connect on Chromecast uses 256 kbps AAC - see all the discussion above…

Most other Spotify Connect devices uses 320 kbps Ogg/Vorbis… there’s nothing special about Bluesound using 320 kbps Ogg/Vorbis… it’s just like Sonos and most other Spotify Connect devices…

For guys like me that listen to EDM, Spotify is really the only legit streaming option from what is out there. Yeah, we are not getting cd quality but it’s better than nothing and good enough for me unless I am doing super critical listening.

I listen to a lot of EDM too… are you talking about availability of songs (catalogue size)?

Or talking about radio mode for EDM? Or something else?

Can you share an example?

In terms of availability of tracks, I find Tidal and Spotify and Apple Music to be very similar. Just my experience though.

No to so much hijack the thread but who buys this information and to what end can they make money with what they bought. Is knowing what, and what kind of music some kind of business out there.

A lot of artists I listen to are not on there like GeoM, Nikko Culture, Regard, etc. Also, I use Shazam a lot to find some of this music and it integrates with spotify nicely and I can add it to the spotify playlists or listen to it right away from my phone. Roon Radio is working out very nicely for me for deep house streams.

I have all these on Tidal US… Which country is your Tidal subscription based on?

Agreed - the Shazam integration of Spotify and Apple Music is really good and useful.