Square acquiring majority stake in TIDAL

I’ll take Spotify

1 Like

I would not go the path of the glass half empty, but rather subscribe to Qobuz in the way it can be done in Australia, using a VPN for first time subscription and then use it as tourists are allowed when visiting Australia. I do not see that companies’ preference on localization has a higher value than the right of using what you purchased e.g. visiting Europe (through a vpn) and take a souvenir home to use. [Moderated]

1 Like

Agree with this - what would be nice is rather than having simply Roon Radio “Limit Roon Radio to Library” it would be great to have a slider that determines a “bias to library”. I’d like to hear mostly from my library but with say a 5% occurrence of a new track not in the library. This IMHO would combine a great outcome for “library builders” without totally eliminating one of the other great values of having access to basically every track ever.

5 Likes

Do you mean Qobuz ?

1 Like

As always in these forums, I’m impressed by those who have keen insights into the thought processes of people they’ve never met, detailed knowledge of business deals to which they are not privy, and who have been able to secure crystal balls that give them—and only them—a glimpse of the future.

5 Likes

Do you know that such statements are categorically, universally true? Or, are your conclusions yet another keen insight into the thought processes of people you’ve never met? :rofl:

1 Like

I was referring to Tidal

and ditch Roon as well?

I suspect andybob knew what you meant!

Simple answer: in pursuit of more money and MQA market penetration is a selling point for the investor (speculation on my end of course)

Asset stripping?

I hope not! I want Roon to survive, and to continue to offer me the integration of my local music library with that of one or more streaming services.

Yes. As Roon doesn’t integrate with Spotify and likely never will, I’ll take an MQA free zone over the benefits Roon provides.

I stream all my music. I don’t bother with stored music anymore, so for my needs the Spotify app is more than suitable, and it sounds excellent to my Ropieee Pi2AES connect endpoint. Once Spotify goes lossless it will be a no brainer.

4 Likes

Lol. You got me. Of course I don’t know for certain that people haven’t lent their crystal balls to others.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!

At 2:47, Darko squeaks (some more) about Square Tidal.

nope, just informed speculation.

My guess is Square is going to use it to start selling blockchain NFT stuff like Kings of Leon is doing here.

Supposed to be the next big thing.

1 Like

I can no longer sync to Tidal via Roon.
This seems too coincidental with this ownership change.
I can still access items saved in my Tidal library but nothing new - though I wiped the saved library on my main machine with a clean install while fault finding, so its dead in the water for streaming via Roon.
This is regardless of the OS I’m running or whether I use Roon 1.8 or an old install of Roon 1.7.

No problem with Audirvana’s Tidal access or via the Tidal app of course.

I doubt very much that there have been any changes. I don’t think the “agreement to buy” has even been finalized. And I see no reports of any similar problems. Mine is syncing just fine.

1 Like