Square acquiring majority stake in TIDAL

I’ve never had a problem syncing with Tidal, 1.7 or 1.8. Merely coincidence - I think we’ve all had enough conspiracy theories as of late to last us a lifetime so best check whatever else is going on with your network and setup.

3 Likes

We don’t know if Square will love MQA!

I think that decision will be based on profitability, not sound quality. Square like money…

1 Like

FWIW, here’s one take on the acquisition. I think the writer has some experience covering Spotify, but not sure what insight he does/does not have about this particular deal:

2 Likes

I have heard several takes on this in the last 48 hours, and you got to think that there is some strategic leaking going on.

Not sure what blockchain offers for the future of all music, some people will clearly make loads of money, but not the smaller bands who are already being screwed out of revenue.
They might have to buy Bandcamp as well

2 Likes

Well, I’ve never had any issue syncing to Tidal either in over 4 years if Roon use.
Now Roon won’t sync to Tidal on any of my machines, but no issue with Tidal itself or Audirvana.
It’s very odd.
I see someone in the other thread I started has the same issue.
To be clear Roon logs into Tidal ok just won’t sync/display new titles. This is with 1.7 or 1.8, windows or MacOS.

I think Tidal users (myself included) are right to be nervous about what this deal means for the Roon integration. Silicon Valley types know the value of user data, and reliquishing control of the user experience to a third party like Roon impacts their ability in this regard.

A more optimistic take is that Jack understands the importance of interoperability. For those who used Twitter in the early days they’ll remember the large number of third party apps that could access the entirety of Twitter’s content, the “hosepipe” API. Twitter only pulled back on this policy when someone began buying up a lot of the third parties and threatened to “fork” the user base unless they got cut in on the ad revenue. Given that Tidal still gets its subscription fees, you can see Roon as less of a threat in this sense.

So… while I am definitely nervous, I think there is space for some optimism too. We shall see.

3 Likes

One thing that Bandcamp does that the streaming services don’t is provide a direct connection with the artist - you go to the artist page, you see all their music and can buy their merchandise, read a feed of posts so you’ll see when they are playing gigs or putting out some new signed t-shirts, or just read their thoughts, and so on. It’s actually really good on this stuff.

In an age of unlimited access to music and also the less visceral consumption of music by the removal of physical objects Bandcamp does a really good job of making you care about and keep up with individual artists.

I’ve no idea if it is technically possible for a streaming service to provide those close links between artist and listener but you’d think that would be the expertise that Square could bring.

4 Likes

I disagree. The whole supposed learning algorithm Roon calls Valence has learned absolutely nothing over the past 2 years as far as I can see. It still goes for the lowest common denominator. The more mainstream the seed is, the worse the results are.

Spotify is decades in front of Roon in that area.

I believe Spotify lossless will be a heavy blow for Roon, provided the SQ is good.

5 Likes

I downloaded Spotify and it already has offered suggestions that are superior to any music service I have used . It’s not close either .

3 Likes

My point exactly. Roon does not deliver what it claims. Their time to make good on their sales promises is getting shorter and shorter.

I’d finally like to get what I’ve been paying for all these years. A version 1.9 is not going to cut it this time. It’ll have to be a quantum leap to version 3.0 somewhere in the next 6 months or so.

3 Likes

Maybe someone wants to tweet Jack Dorsey the intermediate results of this poll. Might help him in judging the future of MQA.

2 Likes

But only 200 or so respondents, and potentially skewed by the fact that the OP stated that his preferred genre is Jazz. There isn’t a great deal of surprise that Qobuz should be the go to choice for Jazz.

1 Like

„Only“? I thinks thats already a reasonably sized panel of the rare species of audiophiles. :wink:

Not only for jazz, also for classical. Cant judge hip hop and stuff…

Yeah jazz is a no brainer for Qobuz .

My listening tastes : 40% Indie ,30% Classic Rock ,20% Jazz , 10% Classical,Reggae , etc

For me Tidal and Spotify are the best choices due to their Indie catalog .

Or he can just look at the 21,000+ likes on the MQA Facebook page and ignore the 15-20 people on this and another website who feel compelled to voice their displeasure with MQA at every available opportunity :-/

4 Likes

of course, how could I ignore the MQA facebook page :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

If you look at Jack’s whole sales pitch, it geared mostly toward the artists, not the users. Will offer better ways for the artists to make money. So really more about selling merchandise, tickets and probably the NFT albums and art stuff that’s coming.

The only reason I could see them want to drop roon is roon users won’t see all this direct marketing that you’d see within their app. Also, we don’t know if roon is feeding back their collected data that these streaming services find valuable.

1 Like

Maybe this will arrive in future builds as an option to view artist offers…:thinking:

1 Like

Agree on Bandcamp is probably the only online music service that provides real benefits to the artists, however I remember when I still used Spotify few years ago that some bands had some sort of direct link to merchandise and tour info, probably only on the desktop app.