Square acquiring majority stake in TIDAL

Spotify still has this even on their iPhone app. If you scroll all the way down on the artist page, you’ll find it. I like that it’s sort of hidden.

I think if Tidal starts direct marketing and roon includes that, people will complain. People were mad just about having concert info posted.

I think this is a great idea. One of the reasons I was so excited about Roon when I signed up was the premise (not sure if it was from Roon or users) of re-discovering music from my own library. For example, my late Mother had purchased a Nora Jones CD for my wife when my son was born. I completely dismissed it at the time (not my taste) and my wife rarely listens to CDs. Roon served it up to me one day and currently, it’s one of my most played. I would never have rediscovered it and it means more to me than just another stream.

I wish there was an easy way to toggle Tidal on and off for suggestions and search results. :confused:

1 Like

Also availability, how can I vote for something that doesn’t exist in my country !

1 Like

Maybe 12-18m ago, but there’s very little between them now. I recently migrated >1300 albums from Tidal to Qobuz from almost exclusively indie genre selections and lost under 30 titles - around 2%.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with MQA anyway? I understand that DSD is better, but always thought MQA was just supposed to be a bit better than CD (16/44).

Fair enough. But that’s just not my experience. I only use Spotify in my car as it’s bundled with the data connection subscription. As with my old Spotify Premium subscription the sugestions seem pretty random with music I most often do not enjoy. Whereas Roon Valence seems to serve up music I most often enjoy and helps a lot with new music discovery, including plenty of old music which is new to me.

Can’t see how Spotify can be decades ahead when Spotify itself is only just over a decade old and was pretty basic less than 10 years ago.

1 Like

Unless you want a 50 Megaton H-Bomb of off-topic posts, I suggest one of the numerous MQA threads would be a good place to ask. Hell, it even has its own sub-forum.

5 Likes

OMG. I see what you mean. Oh well, not sure I’ve got time to find the answer!

1 Like

It seems we have a different experience. For me, Valence serves up the most obviously “related” suggestions (e.g. for Bruce Springsteen you get John Cougar Mellencamp, Jackson Browne, Nils Lofgren) which is useless unless you’re totally unfamiliar with a music style and for the radio function it keeps iterating through the same 10 to 12 artists.

For me this is non functional behaviour.

:rofl: Decades as in “at the rate Valence evolves, it’ll take Roon at least twenty years to get where Spotify is now”.

I find Spotify’s suggestions and auto generated playlists to be far superior to Roon’s.

1 Like

Interesting. Have you experienced a recent improvement? Say, over the past 12 months or so?

Perhaps it’s something to do with usage and what has been added to your Spotify library. I have around 300GB if FLAC files from my CDs. I wonder if there is a quick/easy way to add that lot to my Spotify library as a start so I can check it out?

I haven’t been using Spotify much over the last 3 years. The suggestions then ranged from good to excellent before I switched to Tidal/Roon. I’ve relaunched my free account and the suggestions are still excellent.

It might have to do with usage as you indicate. I have a tendency to stream from a streaming service instead of local files if the music is available on the streaming platform. I don’t really use streaming for critical listening. For that I go old style: vinyl.

If you can generate a list of local files (album or track name + artist should suffice) you can use Soundiiz to add these to your Spotify library.

YMMV. What bugs me in Roon is the obviousness of the suggestions. You’d expect to see Greta Van Fleet as a suggestion when you look up Led Zeppelin, but no… Let alone something more adventurous.

I’ve switched from Tidal to Qobuz recently and Qobuz’ own recommendations are far better than Roon’s, especially for classical music, which of course is Qobuz’ wheelhouse.

Suffice it to say that I’m very dissappointed with Roon’s recommendations. They might be good enough for someone who’s discovering a genre, but for music lovers with a good knowledge of their preferred genres, it never goes beyond the obvious and the mundane. Quite the opposite of what they advertise.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. It’s interesting to hear different experiences and circumstances. For me, I’m just happy if Roon suggests a track I like, rather than hate, for casual listening. For more serious listening I enjoy disappearing down the rabbit hole, manually selecting tracks, artists and genres from the various links Roon provides and tinkering with the focus settings rather than relying on Roon Radio/Valence.

I am intrigued to try Spotify again though, hearing what you’ve been saying. I’ve been fairly nonplussed with Tidal recently. It’s just handy to be able to look-up/find music I don’t own without leaving Roon. I don’t think I would mind which service it was, just happy that a couple of them allow Roon to integrate their services right now.

That’s interesting. A couple of years ago I used Soundiiz to check my albums (vinyl, cd, tape) against the different streaming services and they pretty much all had the same percentage in their catalogue. The exception was Qobuz, which had a far lower number of my albums in their catalogue. Sounds like it has improved a lot.

I thought Spotify premium has a way to load up your local library for album matching. But haven’t tried that. But I have copied over all the favorited albums I have in Qobuz and even my inactive Tidal account with Soundliz.

Unlike roon, which shows all the artists you have based on the albums in your library, the streaming service keep artist separate. You have to favorite those on your own. But I found it fun with Spotify since for every artist you choose, it pops a half dozen or more connected artists, which were all great choices.

I’ve only been playing daily mix for working out, but it’s been great. I’m sure as I start using it more when hifi tier kicks in, it will fine tune things even more.

Roon’s recommendations aren’t bad but just don’t think they have enough data for same type of connections Spotify can do.

1 Like

Yep, Steve Jobs rising from the grave to integrate Blu-Ray drives into Macs would be more likely. Roon simply can’t drive the volume (in terms of absolute or concurrent users) required to get attention from Amazon or Spotify, much less retain the Roon experience, short of an ‘Alexa Voice’ or ’ ‘Spotify Connect’ type integration. Neither of these companies are interested in being relegated to a cloud-based music library and giving up direct interaction with and data collection from the end user.

1 Like

Tidal is changing the way they pay artists which will better reward those whose music is being played more often. Square brings financial transaction expertise to the table. So its a good thing.

it would be a horror for me!
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate Qozus, but only with one service it becomes like kommmunism. Over that, I like Tidal for having MQA

1 Like

Spotify suggestions have not changed for me in 18 months. Still the same old playlsits as always it just occasionally adds a few more tracks to them, all playlists have repeated artists and albums. Don’t see this amazing discovery every ones on about. It was great when I started with it a few year ago but it soon levels out and very rarely gives me anything I can’t find on other services and I have found more via Roon radio and Tidals my Mix than Spotify.

Additionally it’s not easy to find new releases in the mess it displays you. It just throws everything up it thinks you want to listen to on one page, playlists after playlists . The home page is just horrible I hate it’s not album focused, it’s certainly not been been designed by a music lover if you ask me. It’s a horrible cluttered mess of data.

3 Likes

Depends how much you actually use it (more you use it, better it gets) but have you checked out the ‘Discover Weekly’ weekly playlist?

New playlist every Monday. That is quintessential Spotify at it’s spooky best.

Below are really old (and now famous) quotes but nothing has changed (apart from great new discoveries each week).

Are you saying that is hardly changing for you week to week?

2 Likes

Oh sure, thats what they keep saying on every ownership change. And then a few times inbetween.