Squeezebox Classic connection

Hello,
I’m not sure if the answer is in one of the posts I am blocked from seeing so please excuse this post if answer is in one of those.
My current setup consists of the following components all of which are wired Ethernet devices.

• Squeezebox Classic Player connected directly to my Denon AVR-2308Cl receiver using the Digital Audio cable.
  • Old Windows 7 laptop that runs Squeeze Server 7.9
  • Homegrown Openfiler NAS that holds all of my music that I ripped as FLAC files

I need to replace the Win 7 laptop so I also started looking for replacements for the Squeezebox player/server setup and found Roon. Before I purchase a Roon subscription and build a dedicated box for it, I wanted to test it out. I downloaded a 14 day trial on my Dell XPS 13 win10 x64 laptop. I enabled Squeezebox support in the settings, shutdown the Win 7 laptop, and hardcoded the IP address of my temp Roon server into the Squeezebox player. It doesn’t show up in the devices tab of Roon and when I try to connect from the player it can see the Roon server but cannot connect to it. The weird thing is now the Roon Symbol is displayed on the Squeezebox player display. I have enabled all firewall rules for Roon and have rebooted evreyhting at least 10 times. Any thought on what is wrong?
Thanks,
Mike

Hello @Mike_Lewis,

Have you followed these instructions (https://kb.roonlabs.com/Squeezebox_Setup) to set up your Squeezebox? You would want to make sure that no LMS is running on the same machine as the Roon Server as this can cause issue. Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Noris

Here’s a summary of what I did to get my Squeezeboxes to play nicely with Roon:

“So what happened is that first I completely shut off the computer which runs LMS so LMS was definitely NOT running. Then I went into the audio settings screen on Roon and enabled Squeezebox support but alas there were no Squeezeboxes shown. Then I power cycled a couple of the Squeezeboxes but they still did not show up in Roon. Okay so then I started to do some research using the Roon Knowledge Base and the Roon Community. Finally I found the solution on the Community forum. I had to manually select the Roon server on each Squeezebox and then everything worked fine. Please revise the User Guide and Knowledge Base to indicate that this step of manually resetting a Squeezebox may sometimes be required.”

Noris & Ralph,
Thank you for helping me out. I redid my setup and I am not sure what I did differently the 2nd time but it is now working. I’m having random issues playing my file but I think that I just to play with the interface a little. I did get a trial TIDAL sub setup and that is working.
Thanks,
Mike

1 Like

Glad to hear that you sorted this issue out! I’m going to go ahead and mark this thread as [Solved] since the Squeezebox is connecting properly now but if you still experience playback issue after troubleshooting the files a bit more feel free to open another support ticket and we can take a look.

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.