SSD drive for Nucleus+

Thanks. I also found this searching on-line and it’s high on my list of choices.

Been through the referred review (Hi-Fi Pig), thanks. I didn’t spot however if used as a Roon server alone improved the sound quality.

As such to me it’s still not clear if I gain anything major in terms of sq, in case I stream instead of using the Nucleus directly linked to a dac.

If directly linked up and using the Nucleus for Roon and as music server for my music as well, I also noticed that products like Innous and others can do the same with a Roon subscription.

Do you notice any sq difference between direct connect (usb) and ethernet (streaming)?

Hi just a follow up question on this old thread please. I am currently trying to decide between the Samsung EVO 4TB drive you suggested last year and the slightly cheaper QVO version. Do you think the QVO would work just as well as the EVO in terms of SQ and performance inside my Roon Nucleus?

Here’s the QVO version…

Thanks

Personally I’d stay away from any QLC design from any brand.

1 Like

QLC is perfect for a large capacity storage drive – it raises capacity in trade for reducing write endurance and write performance.

Given that you rarely write to your music drive, this sounds like a perfect match.

The real question should be if you require SSD (vs spinning HDD) for your music. If your goal is silence, you have no choice and QLC is a great solution.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. Danny, by silence do you mean just the whirring of a spinning HDD? Or is it more than that, i.e., a reduction in noise floor etc? I have been assuming the latter is also achieved when you use an SSD in the Nucleus, but it’s a point worth checking for me as the whirring sound from the physical spinning of my current USB HDD does not bother me overly. I have my USB HDD tucked away inside a cabinet, so that helps.

Thanks again.

I’m talking about the whirring.

Digital bits leave the Nucleus perfectly. There noise floor can only be made worse by digital alteration or in the analog domain. We aren’t mucking with the signal digitally (unless you add DSP) and the Nucleus has no analog outputs.

4 Likes

Thanks again Danny. This is very helpful.

Hello,

Is there any advantage with heat, performance or longevity placing a 4TB SSD inside the Nucleus + versus connecting one externally via the USB ports?

Also, is it safe to plug the Nucleus+ power supply onto a wireless Amazon on/off switch?
(say in only using the Nucleus+ only when I am home)

THANKS!

you wont accidentally pull out the internal drive

it’s not the best idea… a proper shutdown is recommended. It wont blow up if you flip it off, but i personally wouldnt.

if you can remote in somehow to your network, you can shutdown the machine from web ui.

1 Like

I would leave THE nucleus POWERED-ON 24/7. Roon does a lot of updating in the background, and that way you also get instantaneous access to your music :grinning:

1 Like

Hi,
have someone sucessful used the SSD Micron 5210 ION 7.68TB in the nucleus+?
It’s important for my multichannel DSDs.

@danny shared this link for a 4TB 2.5-inch SSD awhile ago. Any reputable 4TB (or less) SSD that fits the Nucleus requirements (link here) will work.

Is it possible to install a SSD > 4 TB in the Nucleus+?
Have someone experience with such a SSD (Samsung or Micron)?

what 2.5" SATA SSD is > 4TB?

These are SSDs with more datavolume than 4 TB.
For example Micron 5100 and Samsung with 7,68 TB (Terabyte).

While the Micron has a SATA interface, the Samsung models appear to have SAS or PCI-e 3.0 interfaces, so I don’t think that these would be suitable for fitting in a Nucleus…

Edit: oh, wait a minute, the Samsung PM883 does have a SATA interface, so this might also be suitable?

The Micron 5210 ION 7,68 and the Samsung PMM883 7,68 have SATA interfaces.