Stable release 2019/06/03 (276)

ok… reproduced the crash. This happens on wifi. with the new kernel things go wrong if you pull the plug on an existing connection. Terribly wrong that is…

Need to figure out how to prevent this from happening but at least I’ve got an idea what’s happening.

2 Likes

ok guys,

I’ve released a hot fix in both stable and the beta channel.

Now it won’t fix the unreliable wifi, but at least it fixes the crash during configuration. This also explains why some guys reported issues switching to RoPieeeXL (beta channel), because it crashed before configuring RoPieeeXL.

Regards Harry

1 Like

Well, the weird thing is that this message is about the old package, so the package that is removed as part of the update. It’s not a corruption, because you have it on a bunch on devices.

Is there a work around do you think?

With the hotfix, Wi-Fi activation from the web GUI saves the SSID and keyphrase, but doesn’t activate the wlan0 interface.

A manual “ifconfig wlan0 up” brings it up, but the Pi acquires no IPv4 address via DHCP (it does acquire an IPv6 address, though, which doesn’t help much for Roon).

I guess I am using a Wi-Fi <-> Ethernet bridge for the time being …

Did you reboot your unit after configuration?

Several times, yes.

sh… found it. will prepare another hotfix :thinking:

Mines working. Ropieee seems to be on v280. But the web ui shows no IP address at all.

Dear @spockfish, May I trouble you to develop NativeDSD support for iBasso DX220 (http://www.ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=8401) and VANTAM Classic Master Limited (http://venturecraft.jp/gadget_jp/cml/index.php)? Both of them only offer windows ASIO driver but not Linux, I will make a donation for your effort. Also would Raspberry Pi3 powerful enough to handle NativeDSD 512? Thanks again for your hardwork!

With the overnight reboot, it picked up build 280.

With built-in Wi-Fi, I now see all SSIDs listed consistently. When I chose the correct SSID and entered the keyphrase, it also picked up an IP (v4) via DHCP.

Then I switched the update rhythm to “weekly” in the GUI (via the Wi-Fi IP), and it didn’t connect again. After a reboot, neither.

ifconfig wlan0 shows that the interface is up, but it doesn’t seem to connect and pick up an IP.

BTW: It is very nice that SSH is available because otherwise debugging would be impossible.

It also is very nice that .ssh/authorized_keys seems to survive updates, allowing for password-free access.

But what is not very nice that this isn’t the case for /etc/ssh/sshd_config so I cannot turn off root access via password which is a serious security flaw. Anyone who manages to intrude the subnet can set up bots.

Would it be possible to add SSH setup to the GUI? Something along the lines of OpenWRT, e.g., SSH port, a text field for .ssh/known_hosts, password access yes/no, text field for password.

The alternative would be to lock down root access via SSH altogether.

I use it for Oppo sonica dac and khadas tone board too.

You will probably need to give Harry some feedback with the dacs plugged in or run some ssh commands for him to see what the interface is reporting for dsd.

I’ll be doing the same for the FiiO M11 soon as I get it in the next week or 2

While poking around looking for the display config file I did find the ssh port # defined but can’t recall where I saw it.

@Jerry_Chen native DSD512 won’t make it. DSD256 is the max.

Wrt to the DACs it’s simple: you provide feedback with the DACs plugged in (and powered on) and I can have a look. ‘Send feedback’ can be found on RoPieee’s webpage (advanced tab).

Thank you for the quick response @spockfish! Is this a hardware limitation on Native DSD512? Any other alternative hardware that we can switch in but still using variation of your image? Thanks!

@wizardofoz Were you using Oppo and Khadas at DSD512 without any issues? Thanks.

It’s a limitation of the Pi. RoPieee only supports Raspberry Pi boards.

Yes I am using with DSD512 Native on Ropieee RPi 3b or 3b+ no issues LAN connected not wifi. DAC is on USB - usually the lower right port, not that I think it matters.

@spockfish based on above, would you think Pi still has some hardware limitation that degrade sound quality at DSD512? Separately, would Ropieee also support NAA from HQPlayer so that we would use it as Roon-> HQPlayer-> Ropieee-> NAA? Thanks!