Staying on Roon 1.8 Legacy

Roon Core Machine

iMac 2013 OS Sierra 8Gb RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

TalkTalk fibre super router

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I wish to stay on 1.8 Legacy…it suits my needs perfectly. Will you allow me to stay on this version please? There may be others who feel the same way…not everyone needs to take their music wherever they go. I am happy streaming my own music…

3 Likes

This is exactly why Roon legacy was created. So yes you can. Are you having a specific problem stopping you being on 1.8 legacy?

From the Migration FAQ:

For how long can I use 1.8?

Roon will provide ongoing support for 1.8 installation for some time after the release of 2.0, depending on the Roon 2.0 adoption rates. However, if you are more comfortable using Roon 1.8, you can always continue to run it on your own after the official support period ends.

No problems. Just worried that Roon may ditch 1.8 and I will be left high and dry!!

2 Likes

That is my expectation as well. I dont see them maintaining 2 versions for any longer than a year at the absolute longest.

They said they will support Roon 1.8 Legacy until 12/31/2022. Of course, it’s possible they could extend that. IDK.

Support for Roon 1.8 Legacy

We’ll continue to run support for Roon 1.8 until at least December 31, 2022. During this time, we’ll provide fixes for critical and security issues.

After the support period has ended, Roon 1.8 will continue to function, but won’t receive any further updates. Want to keep running 1.8? You’ll be able to do so long after support has ended.

If they don’t support 1.8 Legacy after the end of December, does that mean I will not be able to use Roon at all. I merely wish to play my local files to my Node 2i and enjoy the music. I am subscribing after all! There is no real alternative for me… feel abandoned!

1 Like

Perhaps you missed the second part of the quote that Jim_F posted:

After the support period has ended, Roon 1.8 will continue to function, but won’t receive any further updates. Want to keep running 1.8? You’ll be able to do so long after support has ended.

Here’s the official post:

Support, in this context, means providing fixes, patches etc. You can still use unsupported software. In the case of Roon it will still link to Roon’s severs for metadata etc.

Roon’s position seems to suggest that Roon 2.0 vs. Roon 1.8 (legacy) is simply a user choice: That is certainly NOT true for me. In spite of having the required hardware- two MacBook Pro’s (one core at a time of course), both running operating systems sufficient to support proper operation of version 2.0- that version remains an option unavailable to me (at least as far as proper functioning is concerned). That, and my request for support assistance has received no response for over 2 weeks thus far. It looks like support is overwhelmed, unless there is another explanation for the long response time.

1.8 Legacy is functioning but have an issue with local iMac system speakers and/or SPIDIF and digital out, ie usbor optical to a DAC that once worked, not showing in the Audio screen in Roon.

Thank you for responding Geoff.

I bought lifetime Roon for local network use, as Roon was initially advertised.
It seems lifetime only lasts till 31/12/2022.
No Internet, no Roon, is no good !

3 Likes

That’s just not true.

Great news though, I am sure as they abandon support for it they will gradually reduce your annual subscription cost for it.

Right?

Unfortunately I bought the lifetime version, pity it was so short-lived.

You may not like the direction Roon is taking, but you really should stop with the false posts.

Short-lived? There’s no end-date for Roon 1.8 legacy that has been published. From the official post:

Here’s the official post:

2 Likes

What is not true? That Roon said they would only support 1.8 until the end of the year? I saw the post and Darko mentioned that he thought that was not long enough.

Support for Roon 1.8 Legacy

We’ll continue to run support for Roon 1.8 until at least December 31, 2022. During this time, we’ll provide fixes for critical and security issues.

This (10 char).