Still appreciate MQA access via Roon

It’s no secret that Tidal’s MAX implementation has made it more difficult to identify MQA encoded music via the Tidal app. For those who enjoy MQA it’s clearly a step backwards. However, as long as a MQA version exists on the Tidal platform Roon has been able to access it with the same user experience prior to the MAX implementation.

I want to take a moment to thank Roon for not implementing the Tidal MAX logic and allowing Roon users to choose their preference MQA or standard PCM. I also hope this continues under Harmon leadership as Roon is still the best platform for music lovers.

8 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree Alan! No other format beats the sound quality of MQA :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Tidal is phasing out MQA as far as I know. Roon has implemented Tidal MAX in Early Access. Most of the albums now play as high resolution, not MQA. There are still some that Tidal has not replaced and they still play as MQA, but I think this is only temporary. I suspect Roon will release Tidal MAX as regular production in the near future.

2 Likes

We also realized that Tidal no longer exposes the MQA version to early access if a hires version is available. So looks like MQA is being phased out. So if you like MQA you might want to hold off upgrading when the current early release hits production.

That may buy me some time but not tenable in the long run. So essentially the prefer MQA option will be gone?

Well that’s me dropping Roon and Tidal in a flash.

3 Likes

Tidal high resolution is as good or better than Tidal MQA.

2 Likes

Each to their own in what we prefer.

Please let us try and keep the tone civil.

:innocent:

2 Likes

This bit makes no sense. It’s not Roon dropping MQA. It is Tidal (maybe).

I guess there might be other sources out there that will still provide MQA. You may be left having to purchase music more than streaming though.

1 Like

The big labels still produce MQA versions of their latest releases. So there will be (should be) a way for MQA lovers to access their preferred format. All MQA “cards” are in the hand of Tidal right now. If Tidal phases MQA out, then you should start to make peace with the demise of MQA within Roon.

2 Likes

For me it would not make sense that Roon drops this preference option as long as MQA files are available.

4 Likes

But that is what has already happened in the early access version while they are of course still available for current full release. Seems like hires MQA will be gone shortly.

So how will you find the MQA songs?

This is like buying a car, but after you bought it, the manufacturer replaces the leather seats with wooden seats in a forced recall.

RoonLabs, why can’t you give the user a configuration option to a) keep the current behavior or b) switch to the new, [moderated] behavior?

1 Like

Sorry I am not into this MQA business.
I thought Tidal is providing additionally highres FLAC (also ans preference) and not deleting them.
If Tidal is replacing MQA with highres FLACs, then this preference option in Roon is sooner or later obsolete as there will be no MQA files available to be prefered anymore.

If Roon prevents me from playing MQA they are clearly doing something.
I just don’t understand the thought process, to limit the options people have.
How can that be a good thing?

2 Likes

It really isn’t and the difference is not that subtle.
A good master is always worth a lot but with the same master it’s not even close.

1 Like

Roon isn’t preventing MQA playback.

AFAIK, Tidal are replacing their catalogue of albums from MQA to hi-res Flac.

4 Likes

And no, so far Tidal has NOT replaced MQA files with HiRes. Both files exist at the same time and are accessible via Roon but not in Tidal. In Tidal you have no choice, they select for you.

You won’t.