Capitol released some Sinatra and Beach Boys albums in MQA and I favourited these in Tidal as usual to then be able to pull the Masters version into my library.
Except that only a few of all that I favourited are showing in Roon as Tidal Favourites, and I seem unable to add them to my library. I left it a few hours in case it hadn’t synced, and also restarted the core PC, but they’re still not showing.
Even stranger, Sinatra: Strangers in the Night, shows as a Favourite in Roon, but when I click on it, Roon tells me that ‘This album is not found’. It’s not a rights issue, as I can play it direct in Tidal so the album is definitely available to me/my region.
Also odd is that I created a Beach Boys playlist in Tidal with 27 tracks on it from the albums I favourited. Roon is showing the playlist, but with only 5 tracks on it (corresponding to the albums which did make it to Roon).
Any way to solve this, please, as these are big artists for me in MQA?
I’m having the same experience. When I mark one of the new Capital MQA albums as a favorite it appears in Tidal favorites but never makes it to Roon. Albums other than the new Capitals work fine.
Some of the Capitol MQA releases have ‘corrected’ themselves. However, others haven’t (e.g., now Sinatra: Come Fly With Me is appearing in Roon Tidal favourites, but displays ‘Album not found’ when clicked. Again, I can play this fine in Tidal). McCartney’s Pipes of Peace does the same and several of his MQA albums don’t show.
Also, I’ve now noticed this on other Universal catalogue MQA releases, e.g., Deutsche Grammophon. Karajan Mozart Requiem is favourited in Tidal but won’t show on the Tidal Favourites in Roon, as is Kleiber’s Traviata (Cortrubas), Barenboim Schubert Piano Sonatas, Barenboim Dream of Gerontius…
Hi James, we’re looking into this and I can reproduce with Pipes of Peace in the UK. Hopefully, it’s just that the album display and play permissions we have from TIDAL are slightly out-of-date (and which will resolve themselves over the next 48 hrs), but it could be something else.
Thanks for this. I’m in the UK too, so the ones I’ve reported above are all UK-based issues.
Will let you know if/when they resolve, please keep us updated your end when there’s a development.
Just particularly frustrating when it’s many of the most cherished albums/artists I’ve been looking out for which decide not to play nice - typical, eh?
James
joel
(Joel (Former Roon developer; now retired))
7
No problem. Not that it helps now, but we’re working on a system which will dramatically reduce the lead time to publish the metadata that we receive from all of our providers, including TIDAL.
Thanks for the prompt; yes all mine have populated correctly in Roon now, it seems. If it happens again, is it just a case of waiting until the Tidal permissions catch up?
The only thing which hasn’t corrected itself is the Beach Boys playlist I created in Tidal is still only 5 tracks in Roon, but 27 in Tidal. It imported into Roon when most of the Beach Boys albums still weren’t showing in Favourites, so I guess this is the cause. Is there a way to get this to re-sync itself, please?
James
joel
(Joel (Former Roon developer; now retired))
11
Hi James, has this resolved itself yet? If not, we may need to get support involved. Thanks.
Old thread but I must add that the Tidal versions of Sinatra sound terrible compared to recent vinyl reissues. The difference is shocking. Capitol must have done something to ruin the quality of the digital sound and therefore protect their ability to continue to sell records. I have run into this before many times but never so blatantly. Sinatra is a great example of the industry making money from old rope - he was so good and very prolific!
I think reissues vary among all formats. While I’ve found a couple of MQA versions of Sinatra albums quite bright sounding, I also have truly awful vinyl ‘reissues’ of Songs for Swingin’ Lovers (WaxTime) and particularly Songs for Young Lovers (DOL/Vinylogy).
The latter was so abominable it led to me doing some detective work and discovering many of these vinyl reissue labels have very dubious practices. The 180g vinyl is nice, the source is not - often mp3, or CD copies, not the analogue masters you might expect (whole point of?) for vinyl. I’m sure the actual studio releases (e.g. Capitol) are safe.
This is one of the great overlooked selling points of MQA, it deals with genuine provenance. This has been an issue for me not just with vinyl, but also with downloads sold from well-known and ‘reputable’ online music stores.
I have the 180 gm vinyl re-issue of Songs for Swinging Lovers and I much prefer it to Tidal versions with similar tracks but different name. Only the Lonely is good on Tidal I agree on that. I guess it boils down to taste.