Streaming drops out

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac mini, Last version El Capitan, latest Roon build

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Mac mini is on Google Mesh Network, and attaches to a Drobo NAS

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

2 Linn Akurate DSM’s.

Description Of Issue

If I stream from NAS, all works great. But when I stream from Tidal or Qobuz, the streaming drops out with Roon. But, I also have Tidal/Qobuz on both Akurates, and also on Sonos Ports. When I stream to my Akurates directly, or from my Sonos, all is well. But when I stream from Roon, it drops connection every couple of seconds. it is unusable. Please advise.

I have the same problem. Streaming from NAS is flawless. Streaming from Qobuz is spotty through Roon, but flawless through the Qobuz app running on the same client hardware.

Your issue is more than likely because your Roon core is connected via wireless. Having core on wireless results in two wireless hops between your internet and streamer and your likely saturating you available wireless bandwidth especially if f your streamers are wireless to.

Roon will be pulling from your router wirelessly Tidal or Qobuz streams, then wirelessly streaming them out back to router for that to stream it to your endpoint. Wireless is not duplex so up / down traffic eat away at your available bandwidth as do all your wireless devices.

If you using native apps to connect to the devices then then it’s one direct connection to your streamer and less bandwidth being used

Switch your core to full wired into your main router and it will all go away.

1 Like

Hi @Jim_Huffman,

What is your internet speed from the Core? You can go on speedtest.net to check this aspect. Does the same behavior happen when you use the Mac “System Output”?

I would also suggest giving Ethernet a try in case your WiFi is saturated as @CrystalGipsy mentioned.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.