Streaming from Mixcloud or SoundCloud via Roon

I normally just use AirPlay (on my endpoints) to get round the lack of Mixcloud support in Roon.

But that’s really neat little app esp. if you want to send the stream to grouped zones in Roon and/or don’t want to switch from Roon as your playback source.

Unfortunately no Mac version, but I just realised the Roon EntryPoint Extension is an Icecast server under the hood. So if you’re already running that extension somewhere on your network you can use Audio Hijack to send the audio from any app on your Mac to the EntryPoint Extension’s Icecast server. A bit (…ok very) convoluted, but seems to work and might be a useful route to Mac users who don’t have an AirPlay supporting endpoint.

Would really love to see Mixcloud support built natively into Roon (it’s one of the things I miss most coming from Sonos). I’m guessing the Sonos agreement was a one off, but having different apps for different (kinds of audio) services feels like needing to have multiple TV sets to watch Netflix vs Broadcast TV.

In a perfect world I’d love to be listening to a Carla Dal Forno album in Roon, then notice she also had a show on NTS on Mixcloud, then be able to click though to a track in that mix (either via a track listing or some kind of auto-discovery) to discover another new album in Roon by another artist and then rinse and repeat. All my music and music discovery under one hood/app.

2 Likes