Streaming from Tidal stops after few seconds of song

**Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build numb

Mac Mini - MacOS 10.13.6 (latest update for this machine) Roon version 1.7 (build 537)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Mac Mini connected to ADSL router via ethernet cable ( no wifi involved)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

DAC connected by USB to MacMini.
Music Library is stored on hard disk connected to the Mac Mini by USB.

*Description Of Issue

Streaming from Tidal stops after few seconds of songs, then shows message “Tidal media is loading slowly….”. This only happens from about 16:00 European time (I’m located in France). This generally happens in 2 out of 3 songs, but sometimes it’s every song, meaning Tidal and Roon is useless.

During the day before about 16:00 European time Tidal is flawless for hours and hours, likewise later in the evenings after about 22:00 European time Tidal streaming is flawless.

This has been happening for months, but seems to be worse since confinement started six weeks ago.

Initially I though this maybe because the music library was located on a Synology network storage box. So I transfered all the music files to a local external hard drive. But this has made no difference.

I also thought it was doing only after Ron had done an update, and was then updating it’s database. But the problem is occurring every day irrespective whether Roon has just updated or not.

There is no one else in the house and the only other use of the internet connection is pc and mac used for internet browsing and email. i.e. I am not trying to stream video or download anything at the same time and using Roon / Tidal.

Hi @stephen_grenfell,

What are your download/upload speeds as reported by fast.com or speedtest.net? Are you using default DNS servers? You may want to try changing your ISP provided ones to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS.

Hi noris,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Using Speedtest.net I get :

Ping 35mS Download 4.86 mbps Upload 0.45 mbps

Yes the DNS settings are default.

I have now changed the DNS default settings to those proposed by Cloudfare DNS and restarted the mac.

I’ll see how this changes things and report back in a few days.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Been almost 2 week now and Tidal with Roon has since worked flawlessly.

Thanks for the Help.

1 Like

Thanks for the update here @stephen_grenfell, glad to hear the DNS change resolved the issue for you!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.