Streaming Movies & Series

Yes, that Jimmie Stewart.

BTW - I had an uncle who was a demolition guy in WWII. He landed on the beach on D-Day, was at the Battle of the Bulge, and in the first wave to liberate Paris. They tell me he was never the same afterward either, but what stories he had.

For another Persian related movie, check out “A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night” on Plex.

Happy Winter Solstice.

1 Like

Wow, your uncle was a very busy guy and quite the hero it seems like. What branch did he serve in? I’m a bit of a student WWII and find this interesting. Demolition as in UDT? That was Navy, but I’m certain that the SEABEES did a lot of demolition on land as probably Army personnel were trained in explosives as well. I’d be interested to know what branch and division he served in, it’s quite fascinating history after all. He was a very busy man and I’m thankful for his dedication and service to our country and the free world.

Edit: I just guessing the “ creepy” James Stewart was following a part under the director’s orders/advice and not just “ going rouge freestyle “ his part in the fictional movie. Perhaps you’re picking up on something that most folks have missed?

He didn’t like to be called a hero and one had to really work on getting stories out of him. I don’t want to hijack this thread. Since your a WWII buff, I’ll send you a PM with a few more inside stories.

1 Like

Just finished the third season of Jack Ryan on Prime Video. Bad. One of the least-thrilling spy thrillers I’ve ever seen. The writing is just terrible, and the direction is ham-handed, with continuity goofs everywhere.

Save your time and watch one of the two good Jack Ryan movies: “The Hunt For Red October” and “Clear and Present Danger”.

Or if you must have TV, the gold standard is the two BBC’s 1980s mini-series, “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy” and “Smiley’s People” with Alec Guinness as George Smiley. I could also recommend seasons 4, 6, and 7 of Showtime’s “Homeland”; the other seasons are pretty disjointed, IMO.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the quite good “Patriot games” also! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe already mentioned? In any case a must watch. Gary Oldman‘s performance so good to die for.

Slow horses on AppleTV

5 Likes

Just finished the new season and already I am grumpy as I have to wait for it to return for the next season.

Absolutely fantastic and even better than the first season which surprised me as that was really good :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

I am just the same :rofl:

1 Like

No mention of The English here at all very disappointing the best TV show of the year by a county mile. This series of Slow Horses is very good and for me better than the first which I found was just okay.

Film wise Banshees of Inisherin is the film of the year and for me McDonaghs best. Amazing cast, with brilliant characters and performances, funny, sad, superbly written and very clever as to show what it’s really about in plain sight but not really mention it much. I beg you all to see it if you haven’t already. Also McDonagh is one of the nicest Directors I have had the pleasure to work with and it was a pleasure to work on this as well as watch it.

2 Likes

The English was excellent and I thought it was mentioned at the time it came out on a few months ago.

Sadly I have never heard of this film of which you speak of. I will look into this deficiency of learning that I have.

Edit: oh yes I have, I forgot the name, it’s in my Disney plus queue and it may well be watched tonight. Who could resist that cast and the dulcet tone’s on Brendan Gleeson

I’m down with Covid so I was skimming maybe missed mention of The English. It blew me away and this year has had some very good stuff out just shows how important The BBC is on the TV landscape.

2 Likes

Man you have only just recovered from Man Flu, hopefully you recover from this quickly, though the wife and I did it the other way around and both struggled to get back to 100% over the last two months. We could just be getting old of course :flushed:.

The English got me using iPlayer for the two weeks we deliberately took to fully enjoy the show (if not the cast of horrible characters, it makes me think that letting the colony go was maybe the best thing after all :grimacing::roll_eyes:). It was certainly one of the best serious shows of the year.

I am almost 100% streaming these days I have become a big Apple TV fan. A serious case of quality over quantity and every time I think of cancelling another good show comes along. The timing is deliberate me thinks.

Only 4 I have liked and stuck with so far on ATV and one of those should have been a one off but they are making another series so just ending up like all of the services really. Their films have not interested me at all regardless of its Oscar winner.

Yeah 3rd strike now with Covid in as many weeks. I’m fed up with being ill.

I certainly know that feeling well. We need a good run at getting fully healthy, and I see from the wife she keeps getting hit by the next illness and has not fully got back well since early Nov.

Recover quickly and enjoy the music while resting up

Unfortunately I am so bunged up lost hearing on one side and tbh can’t face it at moment. I just bought a Fiio m11 plus though to cheer me up as now it’s Roon Ready I can ditch my bedroom headphone setup and with ARC moving to bit perfect slowly it will last me a while I hope.

1 Like

Get well soon!
I went through what my doc said it was the RSV respiratory syndrome which circulates here heavily. I rarely see a doc neither would I go to a hospital. This time I thought about moving in voluntarily when the coughing wouldn’t stop. Never was so beaten down in some 20 years.

1 Like

Very nice, sound’s like you needed something to make you feel better :grin:

Whether I should have are another thing. But it’s done now. That new amp may need to wait longer.

Well that is almost always true, but we justify it in the end :roll_eyes:

I turned 'The English" off. The whole bit with the taciturn ‘Indian’ is trite and insulting.

They had their land taken away, given cholera infected blankets as a form of chemical warfare, had their children sent to government schools and forbidden to speak their native language, turned into alcoholics and diabetics, and because of Columbus’s mistaken ideas about geography continue to be called ‘Indians’. The celebration of Thanksgiving in Amerika should be a national shame.

I saw in the first trailers for ‘Yellowstone’ a war party of ‘Indians’ seemingly attacking the brave settlers who were to eventually ‘tame’ the wild Yellowstone… One of the war party was wearing the full eagle feathered headdress that is strictly ceremonial. More Hollywood nonsense to play to the conquering culture.

Nothing new. Goes all the way back to ‘The Lone Ranger’ and beyond.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/italian-english/tonto

For overwrought nonsense from the other side, see ‘RRR’ on Netflix. A vision of the British Raj, from real Indians.

axe grinding completed