Streaming Movies & Series

It’s a pretty good soundtrack with a couple of classic songs thrown in - Walk on Bye, etc.
I’ve seen it four times now, and it is really amazing how you see or think things that were not noticeable on the previous viewings.

Just rewatched this movie. Really excellent if you are okay with subtitles. Again, it needs a couple of viewings to pick up some of the director’s subtleties.

“Pandora’s Box” is streaming on both HBO Max and the Criterion Channel. Great 1920’s melodrama by G. W. Pabst, filmed in Berlin at the height of the Weimar Republic’s desperate hedonism.

Kenneth Tynan’s 1979 profile of the movie’s star, Louise Brooks, is also worth reading.

Ah yes, the reason people used to call some thing they liked a ‘lulu’.

I’ve watched ‘Pandora’s Box’ several times. Never gets old.

Then you should listen to OMD’s song “Pandora’s Box”.

2 Likes

The new “Slow Horses” season is out, but I guess you know that.

Kinda disappointed that it was made into a series. Sequels are always less than the original.

1 Like

I came here to write that it was up and thanks for the heads up.
Just watching the first episode of season two now.

The first series was really good so I have hope at least.
First episode was good :+1:t2:

Sight and Sound came out with their latest “Top Movies” lists (one by critics, one by directors).

The New York Times has a nice feature analyzing the changes over the last seventy (!) years of this poll, taken every ten years.

I’m currently catching up on ‘The Deuce’. It’s a bit saucy, but also interesting.

If “Slow Horses” is back, can “Severance” be far behind? Should be in February.

What ever happened to “Foundation”?

1 Like

Severance will be interesting to follow up, trying not to spoil such an original show.

I imagine Foundation takes a lot of filming and special affects so may take longer to arrive.

Slow horses started well and I will hopefully be watching Episode 2 after the :soccer:

Looking at IMDB, there are slots for “Slow Horses” seasons 3&4.

1 Like

The Netflix series: “The Recruit” is fun and clever if you like CIA intrigue.

2 Likes

I will add that now thanks :+1:t2:

My Christmas Eve recommendation, every year, is the 1940 movie, “The Shop Around The Corner”.

The director was Ernst Lubitsch, at the height of his powers. Apparently, it was the favorite of his movies. And this is the director of “Ninotchka” – which he made to pass the time while he was waiting for Margaret Sullavan and Jimmy Stewart to become available for this movie.

It’s set in a snowy Budapest, pre-war Hungary at Christmastime. Sullavan and Stewart are two clerks in a shop who are also, unknowingly, pen-pals. Pen-pals that have fallen in love through their writings. The proprietor of the shop (Frank Morgan, the Wizard himself), though, thinks Stewart is romancing his wife, although it’s actually another of the clerks doing that. There are various coincidences, contretemps, and confrontations that all come to a head on Christmas Eve.

An excellent script by Samson Raphaelson (what a name!), but the real centerpiece is the performance Lubitsch elicits from Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan. They’d made three movies together, and this is the best. Also the best role Margaret Sullavan ever had.

It has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which is unusual.

The movie was remade several times. As a musical in 1949 with Judy Garland, “In The Good Old Summertime”, and the Meg Ryan / Tom Hanks movie “You’ve Got Mail” took some of the plot – Ryan’s bookstore is called “The Shop Around The Corner” in tribute to the earlier movie. Those two movies are just cute; the original is, as the critic David Thomson says, “among the greatest of all films”.

2 Likes

Might not be for everyone but I thoroughly enjoyed Wednesday (Addams) on Netflix.
Wednesday Wednesday - Google Search

5 Likes

It’s very good. We have all been enjoying it (including the dog’s)

Jimmie Stewart has always creeped me out.

“Glass Onion” just landed on NetFlix.

Pre-war Jimmy Stewart, or post-war, after those 20 combat missions as a pilot of a B-24 bomber, and a Distinguished Flying Cross? “The Shop Around the Corner” is pre-war Stewart, the creepy “It’s a Wonderful Life” is post-war Stewart.

Wednesday – the actress is very good, the story is terrible, very stale. I thought it was a disappointment, given Tim Burton’s involvement.

I noticed that the Criterion Channel has “Persepolis” up. If you’ve never seen it, I found it excellent.