Streaming Radio [Delivered Roon 1.2]

If you want music discovery, and you have Tidal integration, then you can go into the Tidal view, select Genre and say Alternative and then find a playlist.

There’s lots there to explore and I’m sure you’ll find something new and you’ll be able to listen to it in higher quality than Internet streaming.

Cheers, Greg

Then again, for those of us who do not use Tidal, having the internet radio metadata as history would be very valuable.

Some of us just want internet radio streaming integration for reasons completely unrelated to Hi-Fi or even music. Coming from LMS/Squeezeboxes, I’m used to having everything in one interface (my music, music services, internet radio, etc.). My wife wants to pick up the control, choose a local NPR station to listen to news programming (or a BBC station, etc.). Nothing to do with music/hi-fi and everything to do with having a home audio system that handles our audio needs.

edit: And I too find a lot of new music via internet radio streams from independent stations with real people creating playlists (like the “underground” radio I grew up with in the 60s/70s).

6 Likes

Indeed, several stations I wish to stream have content that is not even music, let alone HiFi.

In the old days it would still have come out of my speakers, using a tuner/amp and possibly a remote control which to all intents was a single “interface”.

Then I moved onto streaming audio/radio with Squeezebox, which was even better.

Now, Roon is for me the ultimate music interface but is lacking the above. This latest addition will redress the balance, and I have every confidence it will do it in a way which will meet my requirements - either from the outset, or at some later point.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Roon is the most agile and responsive outfit I’ve come across in many a year. A class act.

2 Likes

I thought Roon was about ‘engaging us with Music’, ‘like a searchable, surfable magazine’, rather than hifi… :smile:

I also want a single music playback environment… whether it be my own music, music streaming from services like Tidal or radio streaming. I’ve done exactly that for years with LMS and Squeezeboxes. Radio from NPR or other favorite stations gets a fair share of play time in my home and switching away from Roon to get it now is a pain. I don’t need nor expect the same Roon depth of experience when listening to radio, but having it all accessible from the same UI will be a huge win.

v1.2 will go a long way toward getting me to finally turn off LMS (well, that and a Roon iPhone app :wink:

1 Like

Radio would allow me to unplug the Vortexbox and go all out Roon. I’m fairly happy with Tidal as a streaming solution but adopting Qobuz would be icing on the cake. I don’t know a great deal about Deezer but it would need to be a premium quality stream to get me interested. Roll on 1.2.

What are the odds of Roon and TuneIn making up? None? Seems like exactly what we need.

Is this still on the roadmap? Sounded a while back that the legal nonsense killed it.

See Mike’s response above. User defined stations where we add URLs or TuneIn webpages are coming in 1.2.

Thanks. Didn’t see his latest comment.

Would love to see an SiriusXM integration.

While that sounds cool, I’m for fewer integration points and therefore less complication for future upgrades. I may be in the minority however.

I think the ship sailed a long time ago about complex additions to Roon’s core experience.

1 Like

Great job on 1.2, now how about that Pandora api? Preferebly one that allows a Pandora One user to stream at 192k? Pretty please?

Roon 1.2 has seen delivery of Internet Radio so this thread can close. Please feel free to open new Feature Request threads for improvements or other desired features.

1 Like