Subscribe to Qobuz?

After many years of using Tidal, just happily switched to an annual Qobuz subscription, in combination with Roon.
First impressions: Although (in my situation) Tidal sounds a little bit ‘catchier’, I really like the more natural and engaging SQ of Qobuz, both in CD-quality as in Hi-Res.
Furthermore no need for an MQA-enabled device to play high-resolution files.
As far as library and playlist-conversion is concerned, I experienced a beyond 95% match between both streaming services. Subscription wise I started off with a free-trial of one month Studio (Hi-Res) quality. An additional three months free-trial offered through Audirvana (CD quality!) was unfortunately not added to the first one. They are treated as two different subscriptions on one account, which will be continued and/or have to be cancelled separately. Would have been to much of a free-ride, so no issue! Nevertheless very satisfied with the current Qobuz service and above all SQ.

I don’t think you can. I have TIDAL also and there I can browse through the Metal genre.

If you really like an album you might consider doing this in the event that particular release/production gets pulled from the streaming service. I’ve found that to happen a few times and more regularly when a new remaster comes out and the studio changes license agreement to only stream the new one. Some remasters make albums worse in my opinion.

Yes, I know. I’m also at Tidal now and wonder why so many people prefer Qobuz. Both mobile Apps are crap for me. If I see a list of albums by an artist I want to know when they are released. I can’t see that information until I dig forth and back album by album. I hope Roon can use the MusicKit API to integrate Apple Music in some days like others do (https://musi.sh). Then I’v a lot of mobile Apps like Marvis Pro or Cs Music to choose from.

I use streaming only these cases:

• Prelisten complete albums to choose, if I want to buy them
  • Listening music on the go where I don’t have access to Roon or my iPad with my full Library
  • Let guest listen their beloved music I don’t (want) to own

As I use free offers for TIDAL, it doesn’t cost me a buck. I hope, I’ll find an offer again when the free period ends. :smiley:

Why I buy music?

• To directly support artists (not every band gives concerts in my country)
  • To get/listen albums from Bandcamp which are not available on my Streaming Service
  • To avoid loosing my beloved music when it gets removed from or replaced on Streaming Services
  • Some albums on Tidal sounds like bad (illegal?) rips or upsampled MP3s
  • To avoid as much internet traffic as possible because of my CO₂ footprint.
  • To decide my self the file-size and amount of files which to be synced to my iPhone (128 AAC vs. 256 AAC or 320 MP3). In most cases I want more tracks than better sound on the go.

Is someone here who uses Roon exclusively with streaming?

The sound quality with either Tidal or Qobuz (I have both) is noticeably better than Spotify, even Spotify premium. Qobuz vs Tidal I find a bit of a tossup. Qobuz seems to have more and deeper selection of classical. But then I cancelled Tidal and found that Qobuz was missing some pop/reggae that Tidal had. Either way, if you’re serious about listening and want high quality streams to discover new music, I think having one of them is worth it.

Same here. I would hate to lose a recording I love.

Has there been any word on if Qobuz will be available in Canada some day?

I am guessing that Roon only have sense when you use your local data with streaming services. Only for local files you can use freeware software (sure, not that advanced…but not that far away). For streaming only - tidal app or tidal from your streaming hardware. To avoid internet traffic (you made an interesting point here) - buy it on HDTracks or similar. Producing, transporting your physical copies also are not free of CO₂. Personally I would recommend stop thinking about emissions in this case…you will "save more of CO₂ when you dont buy 1 coffee at Starbuck, than introducing some ascetic way of listening to music.

The biggest problem with Qobuz is that it is not available around the world. Sure, some doesn’t care about it because thay already have it in their country. Not me. About quality in TIDAL- some niche albums are ONLY in 96kbps AAC, nothing more. In Tidal app there is visible “normal quality”. Yes…normal…maybe in year 1998. These albums sound bad. Also, some “High” (320 kbps AAC) can be found with rather low quality of ripping - spectrum up to only 16kHz - cutted in stright line, like from a ruler.

As of now, I’m thinking I will keep both Tidal and Qobuz. I’m hoping Tidal will have a good deal on an annual subscription when my 6 month plan runs out.

I’ve subscribed to nearly all the streaming services at one time or another over the years. I currently subscribe to Qobuz, and believe it provides the highest quality hi res audio. The catalog isn’t quite as complete as other services, so there may be a few things you’d like to hear that aren’t available.

Like you, I prefer physical media and have a very large collection. There is more available today, at great prices, than ever.

You should look at discogs.com

It is a huge marketplace for lps, cds, and just about any other physical media for music. It is primarily used media, but there is also a lot of new, factory sealed media to choose from. I wish discogs was around years ago when I was spending all that money accumulating my collection.

In the UK we are paying twice as much per month than in the USA
I think that is a insult to UK customers and may push a lot of us to swap to Tidal even do the price of Tidal is pretty much the same per month but I can’t help feeling the USA is getting a lot better deal just to broaden their customer base :weary::weary:

Nothing wrong with that. That’s business.

Rubbish James.

No Tony, it’s not. Why would Qobuz reduce prices in a mature market unless they’re losing significant market share?

So the customers in a mature market don’t count
They are losing me as a customer and I am sure many more of their customers will move away from them
We have Tidal Amazon is getting good reviews
customer service matters and I am sure the UK members will not be happy to be paying twice as much as the USA.

So, if Qobuz starts losing significant market share, they may be forced to reduce their price. It has nothing to do with the price in the USA. It has to do with the price of other options in the UK.

Would be better if they did it for customer care to it’s many members in the UK…

That’s totally true, but it matters if your footprint is already low. No coffee, no car, no meat, no milk, only little convenience food, gardening … :wink:

Interesting what you say about TIDAL. Did they just converted their old Napster downloads? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yup. Kids, candy store. I know the feeling. :slightly_smiling_face: