Success with Tailscale VPN

At this point there’s no solution and Roon support have said they aren’t going to fix it.

1 Like

Tailscale doesn’t support roons archaic networking design aka multicast. It won’t work stop wasting your time and spend it lobbying roon to modernize their archaic multicast ■■■■ design

1 Like

You are wrong, Roon’s multicast does work over Tailscale. The only thing that doesn’t work properly is local playback on an iPhone. Playback on every other device I’ve tested works perfectly, e.g. raspberry Pi, iMac. What’s more, playback on the iPhone does work intermittently, just not reliably. It doesn’t appear to be a networking issue, it looks like a bug only affecting local iPhone playback. This is why it’s particularly frustrating, because it seems like a bug in the iOS app Roon could fix without completely overhauling their networking.

Not say that Roon’s weird multicast streaming isn’t ■■■■ though.

1 Like

Actually I don’t think it does. Plenty of people still
Complaining it does not up until recently

But yea, roon needs to improve… fast. Imagine being on the board and not realizing your losing millions because all your future potential new subscribers cant use a service remotely outside the house which literally every single other product offers so they trial it and just think “what the **** this is useless” and go back to tidal/qobuz/Spotify/whatever works outside the house

1 Like

can you please share the working settings ?
You advertise exit node on the machine that is running the roon core ?
And the you join the exit node on the machine that is not on the roon network ?
Is that it ?

1 Like

@Snook OK I was wrong, sorry. It’s not working on my iMac either, the local audio output disappears from the iMac as well when using Tailscale. So I guess it’s not useable at all. I did have it working when I originally started this thread but I guess something has changed either in Tailscale or Roon.

Note to anyone finding this thread: this doesn’t appear to be working any more. Roon can connect to the server and browse music but the local audio output disappears from the remote device so there’s no way to play audio outside of the local network of the Roon server.

Tailscale doesn’t work, but take a look at ZeroTier : it works perfecty (not for IOS though) :

read the whole discussion here : ZeroTier for remotely connecting to Roon

2 Likes

Softether works too

Hopefully I won’t need it after tomorrow anyways

Hooray. We can finally declare this topic dead.

1 Like

I think you might be a little premature with the death notice; with 2.0 and ARC Tail-scale is working well for me.

1 Like

Do we still need Tailscale with ARC?

I’d like to connect to my Roon server from my Windows laptop when I am at work. Will Tailscale work if installed on my Windows Roon Server machine?

Thank you.

I don’t use Tailscale specifically but I do have wireguard installed on the same VM as Roon core. VM is running Ubuntu 22.04 and I can connect to my Roon server over VPN without issue. Can also enable the device as an audio endpoint.

Of course with Roon Arc I doubt I will use Roon Remote for audio playback on my phone anymore, but it works on my laptop when I am away from home.

ARC requires you to open a port on your router that is accessible to public internet. Of course it authenticates, but anyone can probe it.

Tailscale provides an encrypted tunnel without requiring any publicly exposed ports on your network. imo it is a superior approach, this is the way the tech world is moving.

2 Likes

I was hopping Roon would have partnered with them and propose a viable solution. A few dollars a year per users from the costly Roon license could have been a deal…

Roon ARC works fine with Tailscale, avoiding the need to open ports. The point is to use the subnet router functionality of Tailscale, so the the Roon ARC app (in my case running on my iPhone on which Tailscale is installed and operating) can access Roon (in my case Roon Rock, on which apparently no Tailscale can be installed) with its normal internal IP address of my home network via Tailscale installed on another device with enabled subnet router function (in my case running on a Synology NAS). The free personal version of Tailscale is sufficient. Other VPN solutions work as well with Roon ARC, for example WireGuard (I tried WireGuard running on a DietPi device, it worked fine) and apparently OpenVPN (not yet tried by me).

I should add that Tailscale and other VPN solutions not only allow to avoid opening of ports to the internet, but may also cope with a double NAT configuration, as in my case.

2 Likes

May I ask how you managed to do that with Wireguard? I have the “server” on a VPS - which works fine - but I can’t reach my Roon Core.

Hi rulbricht, nothing special about my Wireguard installation. DietPi offers a simple VPN server installation and can run on a Raspi or other devices, in my case as a virtual machine on a Synology NAS. Ports in the router, in my case two cascaded routers (Cable-Fritz!Box and UDM SE), must be opened.
I just tried Roon Arc with Wireguard again, and it worked, but not immediately. I had first disabled Wifi on my iPhone and connected the iPhone via the cellular network with the Wireguard VPN, and the Roon Arc app didn’t start. Then I closed the Roon Arc app, re-connected the iPhone with the Wifi network, started the Roon Arc app, the Roon Arc app connected with Roon Rock, and I closed the app again, disabled Wifi again, started the Roon Arc app again, and this time it connected immediately with Roon Rock and could play music. Perhaps there some particular issues we are not aware of.
Concerning your setup: Does you your Wireguard VPN server run on a VPS, i.e. hosted at a provider? If this it true and your Roon Core runs in your local network, this can hardly work according to my understanding. I think the Roon core and the VPN server must run in the same network.

If you are running wireguard on a server hosted by a cloud provider you would need to essentially establish a site-to-site VPN connection from your cloud instance to your home network. With that you should be able to connect to your Roon Core but I doubt you will be able to enable to device as an endpoint for audio playback, UDP multicast forwarding is a PITA.

The easiest way is to just install wireguard on the save server as Roon Core.

@Otto_Wilhelm @Jeremy_Henson Thank you both for your replies. What I basically would like to achieve is what Tailscale does with Wireguard but without using Tailscale. I currently don’t have the time to dig into that type of network architectures but if you have a hint I’ll surely start from there.