Sudden loss of roon server functionality

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
CORE: Dell WYSE thin client running Windows 7 Embedded. Has been fine wit Roon for 2 years

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet connection to Technicolour TG-1 Modem Router and a technicolour TG-1switch. All relevant machines can be pinged and network is stable.

Audio Devices
2 SBTs with Ethernet connection and usb EDO plugin to various dacs. I also have a third Sotm SMS-200 playing USB into an Ayon Cd5s DAC.

Description Of Issue
As mentioned all has been fine since about a month ago when songs started ditching tracks and skipping forward to the next song unexpectedly (particularly on roon radio) once next song would load it then died and wouldn’t wouldn’t load next song. Just cycling cursor across playbar.

After trying to play another track, I would simply lose connectivity with the core. Rebooting machine did not fix it. I had to uninstall roon server, lose database and settings, then reinstall. This worked about a week ago but now it happened again and deleting all databases and every directory with roon in it before reinstalling a fresh roon server install doesn’t work.

When I say didn’t work, I mean the latest 32 bit version installs, starts up, can be seen as a running service after reboot, but won’t let any remotes connect.

Was there a different roon server version in last week?

Please help as I can’t listen to music… Aaaaaarrrrrggghhh :slight_smile:Chris.

There were two updates in the past week.

Hi @Christos_Dimitropoul

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

Did this behavior occur just for the SBT zone or did the issue occur for your SMS zone as well?

It occurred for both the SBT and the SMS-200 as well.
I’ll have a look at firewall settings later this week. Although a couple of years ago, I can’t remember ever ALLOWING app pass though the Windows server ever in the past. I’ll still manually do it of course and get back to everyone.

1 Like

Hi @Christos_Dimitropoul,

I noticed you marked your latest post as the solution for this thread? Was this accidental or was the firewall indeed the cause of the issue?

Hi.
Yes, there were a few instances of roon server listed in the firewall rules, 2 of which weren’t set properly. I’d say from repeated installations. Once these were corrected, I could connect to the roon server.
At the core of the issue is why Windows 7 decided to swap to ‘public’ network at the time of the installation of the roon server. I need to quiz others in the house as they may have been around with fixed IP reservations of other (non audio) devices which may have triggered the change.
Anyway, as always, response through this support portal was fantastic and thanks all - particularly for clarifying that a change in the firewall status during installation could be at fault.
Regards, Chris.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know the issue is resolved @Christos_Dimitropoul, happy to help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.