Suddenly CORE not found

It is as though the Apps are no longer pointing to the IP address 191.168.1.138

Hey @7NoteScale,

Thank you for doing all of that :pray:

Would you be able to just temporarily, disable the VPN? Do the remotes connect then?

As stated above, the VPN which has always been here; connected or disabled has no effect.

I suppose the specific issue is getting the Apps to point to the correct IP address. It is as if the Apps do not point to the Roon’s NUC’s address.

Hey @7NoteScale,

On your remote, on the screen where it is trying to connect, could you please click help? You will then be prompted to enter your Core’s IP address (which seems to be 191.168.1.138). Fingers crossed the remote connects that way :crossed_fingers:

On that page there is this. Not “help”

Thus no place to enter the Core’s IP address (Mac computer)

Hey @7NoteScale,

I should have specified, it’s on the first splash screen of the remote. To get there from where you are, please click on Select a different Core. On the screen it should say “Choose your Roon Core” and that’s where you should be able to select Help.

Here are some screenshots showing the page:

Beca, Thank you.

The RUC reads (on TV screen) 192.168.1.231

See below, as I mentioned, when I select a different Core, it reads initializing and never progresses beyond that.

I know that some people have complex systems, but I do not (It is simply a NUC 7th Gen) and has worked with no problem (except occasional reboot) since June 2019.

Then two days ago (Sunday) it could not longer find the CORE. I do not know how to proceed nor how to keep this from happening inexplicably again.

Hi Doctor it looks like you’re Core might have changed IP address.
You might want to get your son to create a reserved IP address on the router next time he visit’s
Tthat should hopefully stop it happening again as then it will always be on the same IP address while you have your current setup.

Thank you. I changed the IP address and went from a static 192.168.1.138 to …231, hoping that this would repoint the App to a new address for the CORE.

I did not mean that my ungrateful, manipulative, sociopathic son needed to do my tech work, only that while he is on parole, it gives him something to do.

Seriously, it was fun for him, and I was an audience and participant. I merely have not had to do anything with all of it until yesterday. I noted also that there was a change (in release number) to the app 22 hours ago as per its history.

I went to the router to trace route etc the 192.168.1.231 and it works without loss etc.

This is truly a mystery. Since I shall soon approach renewal time, I have to weigh whether to re-subscribe or default to DS Lightning since it is baked into my streamer.

Regarding Roon, it is only rock and roll but I like(d) it.

MAC Address 1c:69:7a:00:0f:9d
IPv4 Address / Name 192.168.1.231 / ROCK
Last Activity Mon Jan 31 17:39:39 2022
Status on
Allocation dhcp
Connection Type Ethernet LAN-1
Mesh Client No
IPv6 Address 2600:1700:3b20:6470:1e69:7aff:fe00:f9d
Type slaac
Valid Lifetime 2592000s
Preferred Lifetime 604800s
2 Likes

It is a strange one, I have only caught up on the posts this evening, but it does seem like something strange has happened.

I have also seen a few strange reports recently and some of these have included all audio devices going missing

When it says Initializing, does this happen before you click on connect or after? The network part looks right to me.

So just a question or two, if you uninstall the app from your phone or tablet then reinstall it do you get the same initialising message.

And if it does, do you have a recent backup that you can use to wipe the database out?

Let me answer both of you at once. And thank you for your input and observations.

Yes, it is very strange, and it concerns me at two levels. Selfishly, I want it resolved since it is not a gratifying thing to solve, and secondly, if Roon is this fragile for some people, it is not robust enough for wider adoption. But maybe a wider audience of non-hobbyists is not what is desired. So the future concerns me. Well, there is a third…since I already have an alternative in Lightening DS, do I want to re-up. I do not think a Nucleus etc would have prevented or resolved this since a NUC is merely a budget controlled Nucleus.

If it were a hobby, I could putz (that’s clinical term) around with it indefinitely, but I am simply trying to solve a newly emerged problem.

Also, I do not have much of a database. I have a LOT of CDs and am continuing to buy them. I use Roon/Qobuz as a very simple device. I search among my library (on a hard drive) and on Qobuz for new music or discover things I had not previously heard. I occasionally save an album because I want to return to it, but after almost two years, I have very few saved.

While I was once a hi-fi hobbyist, I am no longer so. I just like the convenience of playing music 24/7 at home (and SONOS at the office). My system is listed with my name. It is mid-fi compared to where I once was.

@TheRiz it says initializing as soon as I open the app on Mac, iPhone, iPad or wife’s Windows 10 machine(s). It began doing that after I clicked having it look for the CORE. It appears to find it at the above specified IP (and its predecessor) and then sticks in Initializing. Hope that is a bit clearer.

What I would do is format the drive and reinstall Rock from scratch. I would also use a backup from before the issues started if possible.

Also, if you have a spare hard drive, try replacing it.

1 Like

And although you said nothing was changed - is this also true for your internet router’s firmware (and related features)? I mean just if things remain mysterious.

I have personally found Roon to be very stable, besides when it’s not, and when not it impacted my music listening and this makes me grumpy in the extreme.

One bad M.2 drive in a brand new Nuc took a couple of weeks to work through and a restore was required due to the corruption caused by over heating and crashes.

A Myriad of issues with 1.8 and Sonos compatibility problems kept causing all my Sonos devices to disappear off the network.

The first one was nothing to do with Roon, but might be closer to the problem you have.

I tend to agreed with @TheRiz and @Jim_F that something has gone badly wrong. I would look at either reinstalling on the NUC and wiping out the current database and then restoring it, or restore it to the Mac for testing and then try and fix the Nuc

If you are not going to renew this might all be a waste of your time and effort to do.

Yes, the system worked Saturday night, and Sunday morning the CORE could not be found although the network sees it there.

It looks like your son set a static IP directly on the NUC using the ROCK web GUI?.

If so, I believe this is the problem. Never, ever set a static IP via a particular device. DHCP on your router knows nothing about it and that may/will eventually cause an address collision when another device’s lease has run out and DHCP wants to re-assign an IP.

Change static IP on the ROCK GUI to DHCP. If you want to assign a specific IP to the ROCK machine do so thru the router software by setting a reserve address.

@Michael_Harris

It is set to DHCP.

To do a reinstall, I gather it is not sufficient just to simply reset Settings and Database?

Hmm, it looks to me like the static button is pushed in, but that may just be my failing eyesight.

This what DHCP button pushed in looks like -

BTW - unless you have a backup you trust, don’t reset your database.