Suggestions for decent wired IEM under $150?

So just for context, I travel for work…a lot.
Sometimes I just cant be bothered to drag out the B&W PX7 cans and put them on whilst on the plane and instead use my trusty old Klipsch iem that are probably 10 years old now.
Still good to my ears but I’m sure as time has marched on there is something better.
And yes I prefer wired, can’t tell you how many passengers I have seen who have suddenly “lost” one BT earbud as it fell out, rolled somewhere in the plane never to be seen again!
And yes I can read online reviews, however I trust the judgement of my fellow Roonies much more than possibly paid for online reviews.
So suggestions please from real life usage if possible.
Many thanks.

1 Like

Campfire Audio Comet, the cheapest item they do I think, but wonderful at twice the price.

2 Likes

Has been discontinued as per their website. I think it was replaced by the Orbit?

That’s a shame. The other option I would consider would be the Final F3100.

Don’t know if you like the planar sound, but Timeless 7Hz is amazing. They bop around at times with me that others don’t while on the road (Moondrop Variations and Thieaudio Monarchs and Campfire Andromedas too expensive, don’t love Blessings enough to stick with them). A cheaper competitor that I love is the Dunu Titan, which is an absolute fave for planes & trains.

1 Like

If resolution > bass slam for you: Etymotic.
With caution that some find them too clinical and/or uncomfortable as they insert quite deeply.

My experience is that with time they become very comfortable as they’re super light.
And they have excellent passive noise reduction.

I have significantly more expensive IEMS but often go back to the Etymotic because the resolution is remarkable.

I’ve seen their flagship ER4SR on sale at Amazon around $175 but the 3 series are nice too.

3 Likes

50 bucks. It’s a steal. Just great gear.

3 Likes

I both totally agree with this… and find it very high risk to recommend these to my friends. One of the five people I’ve told to try them has liked them. I listen to mine occasionally and always love them, and never go back to them until a year passes and then I repeat. I have one freind who swears by them. I think that there’s this weird factor that some people don’t get, and if they don’t get the ick, then they love them. Because they are lovable. I have the slight ick.

1 Like

I don’t have any direct experience with them but the new Sennheiser IE 200 is exactly $150 and are most definitely worth a look.

At the other end of the price spectrum are the $50 TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero. These are quite surprisingly competent at their price point. I know there are fans in the forum that use and recommend them - they can probably say more.

[Edit : Somehow missed that @Bernd_Kurte already made the TRUTHEAR recommendation]

1 Like

This is a valid comment.
If blind (deaf?) buying Etymotic I’d definitely recommended getting them from somewhere you can return them to.
I’d also suggest patience.
It takes time getting used to the deep insertion and practice to get the fit just right.
But once you get it right you’ll know (because they can sound, frankly, terrible if the fit isn’t right.
But once you figure the fit out you’ll get it every time.
Which ear tips you use has an effect too.

So yeah, a bit of effort at first and maybe not worth the trouble for some but for me it’s worth it.

1 Like

I actually bought the Crinacle Zero out of curiosity. And I am just blown away. Best price performance relation I have seen in ages.

3 Likes

I have some things from here. They like to take the standard product and work with the manufacturer to tweak using input from past users.

I have a pair of Focals (Open ear Elex) from here that sound fantastic. I haven’t tried IEMs I like mine.

I bought them based on your recommendation. They punch far, far above their price point. They also come with 7 pairs of tips and a decent little carrying case. It’s an impressive package for fifty bucks.

2 Likes

Been a busy work day but some great ideas here for me to research.
Thanks to all so far!:+1:

4 Likes

As I am always open to a good deal I decided to give the Crinacle Zero a try based on the opinions here and general good online reviews.
Ordered from Fleabay as I found an open box set for just 39.99.
Will report back with my opinions.
Thanks again to all, I never would have found these without your suggestions here!

4 Likes

Good choice on the Zero’s. I have them and also Etymotic ER2XR and Campfire Andromeda. On the Zero’s, I suggest trying all of the different eartips that are included to figure out which give you the best seal and sound. I found that there were subtle but meaningful differences. If it turns out that the Zero’s are a bit too forward for you then try the ER2XR. Over time, I’ve found that the Zero’s are more enjoyable but sometimes I like a little more subtle IEM. Take a look at Crinacle’s IEM measurements to see how close those two are in terms of frequency response.

1 Like

Shure SE-215. $99 on Amazon. Have them and they are excellent IEMs.

2 Likes

+1 on the Crinacle Zeros.

I’m not a huge fan of IEMs but needed a pair for travelling. Following some good feedback on ASR I bought a pair of Crinacle Zeros. If you like the Harman Curve (which I do) then these won’t disappoint.

1 Like

Good to hear that they have so many advocates on here.
Hopefully they should arrive here Saturday, just right to test travelling next week :grin:

1 Like

Did get a very nice review:

Torben

2 Likes