Summary of issues with 1.8

Please provide more information, especially screenshots… i don’t understand what you mean.

Dear Danny,
Sorry if my previous statement wasn’t clear

This is view from My Album, the format shown below the Album Cover not as badge at the Bottom of the Cover as in 1.7

This is view in one of my Tag, Please focus on Rachel Podger album, it is the same DSD512 album as in the previous picture but no album format information shown, so I can not differentiate the sample rate of each album

Hope this helps

To clarify this is intended as constructive input for the team not as criticism, I am positive on 1.8 development

Best

Had a 24 hour cooldown as I’ve never needed to interact on the forums before 1.8. Yes, 35GB on the server. With the latest patch it’s down to 26GB memory usage, even when scanning.

Does “Focus” no longer distinguish DSD as one of the Formats or Sample Rates? I can’t seem to find it.

In fact I can’t find my DSDs at all.

Your cheese has been moved - DSD is now listed under Bit Depth in Focus (for the Album Browser)

The more you use 1.8 the more you appreciate but there is one really annoying problem : the absence of playlists under the tracks contianed

1 Like

Thanks! I realized the more serious problem is now for some reason Roon can’t find my storage and thus my DSDs!

Thanks for this list. There have been so many issues, it’s been hard to keep up with what’s already known and reported.

Having said that, have we lost the ability to Edit/Delete tags on iPhone iOS? Looks like I can “Add to tag” but not “Delete”. I can do it on iPadOS.

Also, I can’t use the the trackpad for scrolling on iPad Pro Smart Keyboard. I could swear it was working last night but this morning it’s not. Nothing wrong with keyboard as I can scroll perfectly well on other apps.

Thanks and apologies if these have been mentioned already.

Thanks for this info. Thankfully, I could find my DSD music because they all are tagged that way for easy searching.

I think the #1 thing many of us were hoping for is consistency across screens and better navigation (less clicks and scrolling and opening of sub windows for example) and this release went hugely backwards on all those. Did Roon have a continuity manager on the build?

1. is the huge waste of space brought about by the header decisions. I briefly showed my wife, a non-user but a release PM at Microsoft, the Home Page and first thing she said was that the Library numbers data is interesting but in no way need to be so prominent or even first. If I go to Home on my 27" desktop monitor I’m presented with exactly eight album covers initially without having to scroll, open, etc. I’m not playing a numbers game - I could care less to see the stats of my library first thing, large and prominent, and “Hi, Charles” (oh isn’t that cute). I want to see as large a choice of albums to play as possible, with as little work as possible needed by me.

2. Readability of large text bodies, or should I say non-readability. This one’s huge esp as Roon’s whole game now seems to want to be a sort of hybrid publisher. Fine, but at least make it easily readable. Like this forum is.

3. Customization of menu items and themes. One user has already shown that with a few lines of code he can have a consistent highlight color of his choice, so it can’t be that hard.

4. Ability to go to genres and just be shown all the albums under a particular genre without the fluff (essay, etc). Perhaps Roon needs to release a power user version that’s just focused on the basics of cataloging vs trying to be a repository of vast musical knowledge (it isn’t).

9 Likes

Two points: (1) I’m surprised by the number of things that broke in the transition from 1.7 to 1.8. Shouldn’t a new version be a seamless update of the previous version that fixes bugs and doesn’t create new ones? (2) Where/how did the input of Roon users guide the development of 1.8? Nowhere in the five days of gushing emails about the new version did I hear the phrases, ‘users requested’, or ‘by popular demand’, etc. Instead they left the impression of an elite group of developers who know what’s best for the rest of us. Surveys or focus groups of current users could have reduced both the loss of desirable features and the creation of undesirable ones. We pay for Roon, so I think our input should be considered up front, not just after the fact.

5 Likes
2 Likes

In the “Recommended albums” box on an album page (below track listing and “selected discography”), there is “NEW RELEASES” tab. This tab mixes albums with singles and EPs, seems like it should just be albums. On the Home page, you can choose either Albums or Singles, which makes sense.

If you just want to show your DSD albums it’s easier to use Bookmarks than Tags. Eg. Go to Albums, Focus, Format, DSD128, and you can then see all your DSD128 albums and create a Bookmark for them. I have one called DSD Classical and another called DSD non-Classical, and also a DSD128/256 bookmark too. I don’t use Tags at all.

I think vertical scrolling was the main feature demanded by users. Now it’s vertical everywhere. Personally, I like the horizontal album view because it created a different experience from the monotony of vertically scrolling on the general internet but it was something users kept asking for.

What are the massive improvements? I really don’t know.

With something as complex as Roon, people use it in different ways on different devices. I use it on PC, not mobile devices. I suspect that maybe a lot of the improvements are for mobile?

In what ways is 1.8 massively improved over 1.7?

2 Likes

I agree with the slower startup and also that I miss the A-Z quick access, I used this a lot. Now I have to either scroll down or ‘focus’. One click was all I needed before.

You are quite right to highlight the fact that uses of Roon. I listen to Classical music (mostly) and the search facilities have improved dramatically.

Indeed, yesterday, I had concerns that some of my habitual ways of locating my music were slightly more difficult. However, today I,was just about to use my old method of locating a particular composer performed by a particular artist and then thought why not use the new way - which proved both faster and identified more albums than I would have located using my former approach. My appreciation for the improvements has actually increased.

1 Like

I read that you can type the letter and it will work that way, not ideal and haven’t tried it myself. Might help you though.