Support of Intel NUC8 (Bean Canyon)

Do a simple search query. It is a commercial/enterprise model.

The NUC7 and NUC8 consumer units all are BxH or BxK.

AJ

1 Like

I searched ā€œNUC8i7BEH power consumption benchmarkā€, the first link is:

The highest consumption we can record is 78 W from the small (~12.3 x 4.5 x 3.0 cm) 90 W AC adapter when running both Prime95 and FurMark simultaneously. Because of throttling, however, the system is unable to maintain a consumption of 78 W and it eventually stabilizes at just under 50 W ā€¦

FWIW (and slightly off-topic) Iā€™ve been running a NUC8i7BEH with Windows 10 and RoonServer installed. I wanted to be able to occasionally do something else with the machineā€¦

BIOS settings were tweaked to lower/eliminate fan noise. I canā€™t hear a thing from the unit now while RoonServer plays to five or six zones with MQA unfolding or high-bitrate playback. It has never been more stable, even compared with ROCK on the now returned NUC7iBNH. Stress tests show the system only going up to around 68Ā°C under heavy, persistent load, e.g. eGPU gaming :video_game: . Iā€™m more than happy.

2 Likes

No, that is not how to measure power consumption in an always on ā€œappliance.ā€ That presents an unrepresentative sample. Try this instead:

NUC7i5BNK:

Windows 10, idle on desktop 13.6 W

NUC7i7BNH:

Windows 10, idle on desktop 13.7 W

NUC8i3BEH:

Windows 10, idle on desktop 4.3 W

NUC8i5BEH:

Windows 10, idle on desktop 5.6 W

AJ

Thanks for everyoneā€™s input. In my case I have Roon Core in another room with a bunch of noisy servers so noise isnā€™t an issue. Lower power use is always nice but I really want snappy performance as a top priority. Iā€™m most familiar with Windows (servers and workstation) so support and patching is not a real chore for me. That said, if I can turn this into something I donā€™t have to think about or check on, all the better. My existing i5 8GB RAM, 250 GB SSD running latest patch set of Win10 Pro hesitates now and then. I threw the Roon Core on this old workstation just to test and now I canā€™t live without Roon. There maybe something wrong with my old workstation and now that Iā€™m committed to Roon Iā€™d like to find the ideal host environment. Iā€™d like to make the right choice today to have it run for several years with minimal intervention. I like the idea of NUC standard hardware, just a little leary of buying NUC 7 when NUC 8 is out. Although, I can see the valid points made above about NUC 7. Since NUC 8 looks a little problematic from @saschamt experience, I might have to wait for now. Iā€™ll also scour the site for any references to Hyper-V VM installations, that would be a reference hardware environment that would be easy for me to implement. Itā€™s too bad a Roon Core/ROCK couldnā€™t be hosted by Hyper-V (or other VM host), a packaged Roon Core/ROCK VM would be great. Thanks again for the thoughtful comments and suggestions. If anyone has suggestions for ideal current, supported, host environments for Roon Core or ROCK, let me know. I donā€™t think these make any difference but use several types of endpoints: Windows and Mac PCs, Bryston, BluOS and remotes on iPAD, Windows Tablet, Android phones.

1 Like

FWIW, lots of people seem to be running ROCK on NUC8s now (see various threads here). However, if you really want NUC8 hardware and for some reason ROCK doesnā€™t work, you can always install the OS yourself and then install Roon Core on top of it. That way you are in full control of the OS and can deal with any missing drivers/etc on the NUC8 hardware yourself. You can still run Windows if you prefer (and the devs have said that Windows is preferred for people with very large libraries, as the Windows .Net libraries are better optimized than the libraries available for Mono). Personally, I prefer Linux and run my Roon Core on a CentOS 7 system.

1 Like

Hey Chris. I think youā€™ll be fine with a NUC8, too. Lots of people are running them like @cwichura said and my issue seemed to be an isolated quirk. Performance-wise the NUC8i7BEH handles everything I throw at it like a champ.

No. I disagree. I believe in worst case scenario for engineering / component decisions. Seeing a NUC7i7BNH only uses 13.7W on idle, then buying a 36W LPS for it is going to result in a waste of money and waste of time tracking down mysterious faults.

1 Like

Definitely.

I have a NUC8i7BEH that has worked perfectly for 6 weeks with ROCK installed.

2 Likes

Yesterday I just installed ROCK on a NUC8i5BEH with M2.-SSD (120GB) and 8GB of RAM. Performance is far better than my setup on a Synology DS216+II (with 8GB RAM plus a SSD via USB_3.0 for Roon Core). Especially prompt loading of tracks and skipping from one track to another is right now very fast.

Imho, If you can build a desktop/server system and you care about getting the quickest, snappiest responses, then that is what you should do. Use Windows or regular Linux (Ubuntu). It can easily be faster than an NUC based system.

My Roonserver is running a full tower k7-4790k, OS, Roon and Music all on SSDs, and an extremely efficient seasonic Prime power supply.

Hi,

I am interested in ROON on a ROCK installation on a NUC8I5

Has anyone tried to use wifi in this configuration ?

I know ethernet is preferable to wifi but in my situation I canā€™t have an ethernet cable to the nuc.

Thanks,
SĆ©bastien

Itā€™s not recommended. Where will you be storing your music files?

Yes I understand why it is not recommended but thatā€™s not my question. :wink:

Files will be stored on a USB drive connected to the NUC. I intend to use wifi to get network connection for roon core and use an app to controll roon with my smartphone through wifi.

In my case wifi is not an option as the room where the dac and nuc will be has no ethernet plug and there is no way to have one.

Thanks,
SĆ©bastien

It might work or it might not. Iā€™ve run a rock on WiFi but I have a mesh network and the NUC was plugged into a node. Your WiFi and circumstances will be different so all anyone can do is guess.
What is you WiFi setup and what througput do you get where the NUC might be installed?:wink:

Wifi is ok : 3 to 4 bars over 5 with wifi 5Ghz. WIFI type is AC I have largely enough bandwith for retrieving data (cd info etc) from internet. The NUC will have direct access to the flac library by USB. The library is on a USB drive. I am not trying to make a NAS work with my NUC ROON ROCK box.

The real problem is ROCK compatibility with a NUC8i5 for wifi.

The wifi card is supported since linux kernel 4.14 but you need a firmware as well to make it work.

Since NUC8XXX are not officialy supported I am asking if anyone can report on wifi functionality with latest roon rock (159) and nuc8.

Ok thatā€™s more explicit. Iā€™ll leave that to the pioneers.

As am I. In my case I am running a NUC8i5BEH with Roon Rock and the fan noise is negligible in my domestic setting with no tweaking of the BIOS settings.

1 Like

Nice! The i5 produces even less heat so you not having any issues with fan noise makes good sense. For me it was crucial that my NUC8i7 doesnā€™t spin up its fans at all, because the unit is sitting right on my desk, while maintaining OK temperature levels. If anyone wants to see my BIOS settings Iā€™m happy to post a screenshot here.

1 Like