Supported sample rate of Chromecast builtin

Hey @Marcel_van_der_Veldt ,

Sorry for the slow response here. Noris passed this to me last week, and we’ve been discussing how we can improve Roon’s Cast support in these cases.

I can see that your experience with these devices indicates that they’re not implementing the hi-res flag properly, even though they claim to support high resolution playback. And I understand that some other apps may also ignore the flag and simply put their trust in the Cast device they’re streaming to.

Ignoring the flag may seem like an easy fix, but it causes other problems for us. In Roon, we depend on endpoints accurately communicating their capabilities back to Roon, and Roon users trust that we’ll do everything we can to ensure that works properly. We have an obligation to be a bit more conservative, because of these commitments.

If we don’t insist on an accurate understanding of a device’s capabilities, Roon users can’t depend on Signal Path to accurately convey any conversions that are happening, and other functionality in Roon (like any sample rate conversion settings the user has configured in DSP) won’t work properly.

This isn’t to say we don’t think a fix is possible here – just to explain that we can’t simply ignore the flag as others have done. What we are going to do here is test some of the Cast gear we have in house, see if we can verify your observations, and then we can look into implementing device-specific rules to enable products that we know support hi-res to play the streams that they actually support (and nothing more).

I can’t make any promises on timeline here, or on any products we don’t have in-house. For example, I don’t believe we have any Teufel products on hand. In the meantime, I’d encourage you to reach out to these companies as well, to encourage them to properly implement the flag, or to work with us to make sure we have hardware to verify this behavior.

I hope this helps explain what we think is feasible here, and we’ll provide updates as this process develops, as this will take some time. That said, I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we look forward to improving our support for these devices in the future.

1 Like