Swapping Storage Drives

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 PC with i5 running Roon core server on SSD, music stored on attached 2TB USB HD (not SSD)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Verizon Fios latest router, ethernet connection via MOCCA with 100mbs service

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sonore Microrendu USB to Topping DAC 70

Description Of Issue

I need to back up my 2TB external USB storage drive and bought a 2TB SSD external drive. Once I’ve copied over my files, if I swap the SSD with the non-SSD, what are the pros and cons? I’m not experiencing any issues playing files now, but would the SDD be quicker or more stable in the long-run? I assume Roon would have to re-read all the files on the new SSD if I swapped – would I lose any of the customization I’ve done using the old HD?

To swap drives. Turn off the server. Unplug the existing Drive. Clone the old external drive to the new external drive. Plug the new drive in. Turn on server. As long as the data on the drives are identical no change should happen at all. Otherwise, Roon will re-scan the drive. But, as long as you have turned off the server you will not have an issue. Any issues occur if the server is on and “sees” both of the drives at the same time.

Any increase in speed might be in initial play start, but, generally the non-SSD drive is already way faster than is needed for playback. In short, the speed of the SSD is pretty much wasted when used in this capacity.

1 Like

Got it, thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.