Synology NAS for Roon

This is a silly comment. This forum isn’t for people looking to buy a NAS so they can run Roon. It’s for people who already own a NAS and are looking to use it for Roon as well, just like I used to run my Squeezebox server on mine. The point being is to have as few devices as possible. In your scenario, I would need a NUC as well as external drives attached to the NUC.

1 Like

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

If you have such a large collection that you need a nas to host the music then you are unlikely going to be happy with a nas running the core. I have been there and done that and it didn’t work so well.

1 Like

No dealbreaker at all for me. It’s just a simple click or two on any device to rescan. How often do you add new content?

The upsides with a good Nuc as core wins easy, even if I need to force rescan sometimes.

The rescan takes just a couple of seconds, maybe a minute if you have 10.000s of albums.

1 Like

Almost daily. Also cleaning up wrong tags etc is an ongoing excercise. I need / want to see those results without further dlick-orgies.

after we know, a simple rescan can be hard work, we should come back to thread thema
Synology Nas for roon

@crieke purchased a DS1621+ for file share, Time Machine, and would like to add Roon Core. Have used Roon for years on a Mac Mini tied to my Tidal account. Love Roon. Will this NAS suffice for my use case especially connecting to Tidal? Do have a M.2 cache on order and will create a SSD volume in a bay. If I need more than the installed 4gb of RAM no problem. New to a true NAS environment and DSM7. Have your .spk installed but pretty much lost on a step by step for setup. Where can I find easy instructions? Thanks in advance. Very prepared to make a donation on your web for some one on one. Paul

Here’s the walkthrough you’ll need; the exact topics you’re asking about are addressed in this thread. If you’re familiar with Docker it’s easier, but the walkthrough can get you up and running in a basic setup fairly easily.

I run Roon on a DS1621+ and it runs beautifully. You don’t need a M.2 cache, just grab a Samsung T7 external drive and you’re good to go.