Synology SPK-Package: Development

Thank you. :slight_smile:
I will upload a new version (probably tomorrow) with better database import/export and enhanced installer scripts.

Installed your package @crieke and its all working fine. Very much appreciated! Update to build 128 also went smoothly. Overall experience and performance is very good. I expected that I needed to add an SSD for good performance, but itā€™s working fine from my raid5 array.

Hi willemzout, glad for you !
What are the specs of your Synology NAS ?

Iā€™m using a Synology 1815+ with an all HDD 8 disk raid5 array, so itā€™s a powerfull one. I also upgraded the mem from 2gb to 6gb, because I had the mem laying around, but itā€™s not really necessary. My DB is 52000 songs and it uses around 450MB of mem.

Thank you @willemzout,
So CPU is Atom C2538, did you compare performances with the same DB on an I5 box ?

Danke Christopher !

lƤuft Super auf einer 716+ !

das nƤchste mal geb ich einen aus :slight_smile:

Marco

@Volpone I did indeed use a normal PC (Core i5) as roonserver before. It is faster with roon, but I suspect a SSD counts for the biggest difference. Iā€™m planning on adding a SSD to the Synology in the future. But its not at all sluggish right now, so no hurry.

Hi, I have a 413j, I dont think its x64
S413j Marvell Kirkwood mv6282 ARM 1.6 1 1 no 6281 6282 16-bit@DDR3 512MB

Would you be able to make a pkg for this NAs too?

( I have no idea if its much work so please dont think me rude)

Regards Ole

The spk file currently grabs the RoonServer package for linux from the roonlabs website and installs it. As this is currently only available for Intel x64 processors there is no way to make it work on ARM.

ah thanksā€¦

I made some changes, cleaned up installer scripts. I also provided a text field which has the current link to the RoonServer package in the install process (in case the URL changes in the future).
I also renamed the database folder to Roon_Database. When it is exported at the uninstall process it will contain a date- and timestamp in the folder name. When you re-import you need to strip the data and time from that name.
There is no more option to keep the Roon Database on the device, it will deleted when uninstalling. But you can still export it to a path defined by you. It was mistakenly moved to a directory on the synology which also lies on the root partition. So I recommend everybody to uninstall the old script and use the new one.

If you donā€™t need your old database. Just uninstall RoonServer and make sure to deselect the ā€œI want to keep my RoonServer Database.ā€ option field.

If you already have the previous version installed and want to keep your database folder, click on uninstall in the package center and specify an export location. This should be a share on your device (e.g. /volume1/music - this would be the music share if it exists and if it is on volume1 in case you have several volumes created in the Storage Manager).
Also deselect the button ā€œI want to keep my RoonServer Database.ā€

Your database should be exported to the path you specified (it is a folder named ā€œdatabaseā€). The new Database folder name is ā€œRoon_Databaseā€. So rename your exported database to the new name.

Install the new script and enter the Import path (as you did with the export).

It should be running again.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Here is the new spk file:
PLEASE READ THE ABOVE TEXT BEFORE DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING

Update: Removed Link due to a updated version in (post #129)

Are there limits to the size of the roon database to use this?

Currently the database will be stored on the volume you specified for App installation. The size of it is limited by that volume. In terms of performance I am not able to give you an answer. My library is not as large as the library from some other people here. But you can check the performance in the Resource Monitor when you are logged into your DSM.
I also upgraded the RAM of my DS716+ from 2 to 8 GB. Not sure if this is necessary. It was quite cheap, so I went for it.

I also created a git repository (my first oneā€¦) and put the current version there. If anyone is interested to participate.

@crieke
Works like a charm. Only issue I seem to have is that my music is also on the NAS I now run Roon on, and when I set the directory up as a remote on it gives an error. Setting it as a local directory works fine, only problem is that then the database copy I took from my old setup only recognizes the Tidal ones, not the local ones, it treats this as new files, so no history.
But donā€™t expect this to be a Synology package issue.

I run it on a DS415+ and it works fine.

If you add a local folder on the Synology device, make sure you include the volume in the path. If you created a shared folder ā€œmusicā€ in the DSM administration for example you can specify on which volume the folder is hosted (if you you have more than 1 volume).
If he path to that folder is
/volume1/music (if it is on volume 1).

Amazing - just tried it on my Synology NAS 1812+, now it is busy importingā€¦

Thank you, OUTSTANDING! Will report back on performance.

I also installed this last night and it works incredibly! Thank you so much! I had three simultaneous zones playing different music and was controlling with iPhone and computer. My music is on the NAS and setting the music as local worked fine. Will keep experimenting but so far this works superbly.

Congratulations crieke !!! Well well well done !
My first thought was that i had to instlall the Synology SSD cache fonction on 2x128gb SSD in read only mode. But itā€™s costly and i will loose many capacity because i have to replace 2 big spinning HDD.
Do you think we could install the database on a small usb3 ssd ? It would be much more economical and simpler.

@remi_alberge - Just informational reply to your question, I just put a small SSD drive into my Synology NAS and made it a standalone volume. This is where I installed the package ( and hence this is where the database lives as well). You would NOT have to use the Synology SSD cache function, in fact to do so you would need to add another SSD drive ( beyond the one that I added for RoonServer).

So to clarify, if you have an extra slot in your NAS, just add a 64GB SSD drive as a volume.

I would guess that using a USB3 port on the Synology to a SSD drive would work if you can present that drive as a volume for the package installer.