Synology SPK-Package: Development

Question - I used this to install on Volume4 on my NAS, a SSD drive dedicated to just Roon.

so if the install is onto /volume4.

and in /volume4/@appstore is the RoonServer directory

and in /volume4/@appstore/RoonServer

I see Roon_Database and RoonServer

If I want to move my Roon database files from another machine ( say MacMini running MacOS and RoonServer) where do I move the contents of the Roon “Database” folder from my Mac Mini to on my NAS?

Do I copy it into the directory, /volume4/@appstore/RoonServer/Roon_Database on my NAS?

The contents of that directory as as follows:

root@RileyStation:/volume4/@appstore/RoonServer/Roon_Database# ls

Cache Core Cx @eaDir Orbit RAATServer Registry RoonServer

You can import a database during the install process. Try the following to import it from a mac:

Connect via afp to one of your shared folder in the Finder (e.g. music).
Create a folder “Roon_Database” there. On the mac the relevant files are stored in your User’s library folder. You can access it by “alt”-clicking the “Go To” entry in the Finder’s top menubar and select Library (it won’t show up without the “alt”-button pressed).
Copy the folder “RoonServer” (if you have used the Server version) or “Roon” (if you have used the whole Roon with graphical user interface) and RAATServer to the newly created “Roon_Database” folder on the Synology. If your folder was called Roon (without Server in the directory name), rename it to RoonServer afterwards.
I am currently unsure what information is stored in the RAATServer folder.

You need to know on which volume your share is hosted, to enter the path correctly in the install process. Assuming you created the folder on the music share. Check in the DSM on which volume this share is located:

In this case it is on “Volume 1”.

During installation of RoonServer on the Synology, you will be asked where your “Roon_Database” is located if you want to import it. Enter:

/volume1/music
(no “/” at the end)

The Roon_Database should be imported to the same volume you are installing the Roon package. It would be nice if you could give Feedback if this works so far.

I am still working on enhancements in the spk package, but I would like to wait until I am sure that everything works as planned and is finished.

1 Like

@crieke Thank you so much, everything worked exactly and perfectly! It imported the Roon Library from the Mac perfectly. I followed your directions. I didn’t quite understand the previous instructions you posted, these made it perfectly clear. Thank you.

When I was finished it had all my playlists and albums both from the NAS and from Tidal. Settings such as dark theme, etc followed as well.

Only thing I noticed is that in Settings–> Storage, the watched folder is set to:

“smb://10.0.1/201/music”

I did try changing it back to a local folder ( /volume1/Music) but that forces a complete rescan of the music library.

So I did another fresh install and am leaving the reference as “smb://10.0.1/201/music”

Thanks again.

Barr

One update - I did have to change the Storage location to the local folder on the NAS, none of the files would playback with the “smb” syntax, not unexpected and just a follow on note.

So I also tested your export and import function and they work fine.

I got it working on an Synology 713+ with 2x500GB SSD.
I had some trouble generating a valid RoonServer.psk (Package center did not recognize it) but I got hold of one generated by another member, and Voila - bulls eye!

Very nice work :slight_smile:

@crieke : Kudos! It works like charm once I figured out some very basic things:

• how to get the database copy to work
  • you can’t remote connect to the local folders

I was confused by the database copy setup, so, on the the off chance there are others just as thick as i am:

• create a new folder called Roon_Database
  • copy the RAATServer and RoonServer whole directories in there (so NOT just the database directory that resides under the RoonServer directory)
  • move that whole directory to a fileshare on your synology nas. For example to ‘tmp’
  • install the package and enter the root where you copied the Roon_Database folder, for example: /volume2/tmp (so do NOT /volume2/tmp/Roon_Database, you can’t use your own name and point to that folder)

Once you have a solid copy, you will find that, if you used remote folders before, you get errors on you albums. Simply go to the storage settings, remove the old remote watched folders and add new ones, using the ‘local folder’ option on the bottom left.
Roon will rescan and add them in again, but recognize them and match with the old metadata.

Very happy camper here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe It’ll be a good idea to add a a line in the script to check if the user pointed already directly to the “Roon_Directory”. Then “/volume2/tmp/Roon_Database” and “/volume2/tmp” should work and there is less frustration if a user misunderstands the infotext in the installation step.

That, or allow a user to pick the actual directory, in which case it would also allow to be called differently (you could then for example pick a backup directory without renaming it).
Either way would be great.

Sadly, there is not an option in the installation process to show the shares of your volume. You are limited to strings (as it is now), singlecheckboxes and multicheckboxes.

I called the folder “Roon_Database” for now, as this is also the name that is internally used on the Synology.
When uninstalling you can also export. In that case a folder will be created “Roon_Database_DATE_TIME”.

But when I think about it I guess you are right to directly specify the folder (to prevent, renaming exported folders back to “Roon_Database”). So that you directly point to “/volume2/tmp/Roon_Database” and the Installer will check if the RoonServer and RAATServer folders exist in that directory.
I will adjust it for the release version.

1 Like

I just bought an USB3 SSD case for a 32gb msata and 2gb RAM for my 1513+. All suggestions are welcome

Fantastic work. Evaluating now.

Just found a small spelling error in the installation process: “Databse”

Also, as @rovinggecko explained above, the database folder isn’t actually called that. Info could be clarified.

@remi_alberge I plan on doing the same thing. Please let me know how you fare with this. Especially the performance improvement over a Roon database on a HDD. I notice that sometimes access is slow, mainly with searches.

I can’t get the import to work. Once installed, Roon quickly forgets about the files that are no longer in the correct place and has to re-import them when I re-add the correct paths. Seems to work pretty well when starting from scratch though.

If you have your music hosted on the NAS, you need to replace the network shares with local folders.
As described in post #37.

I corrected the spelling mistake. :slight_smile:

I did that, but Roon still seems to rescan. The recently added section contains every album I have, but the playlists and stuff from before are still there. So maybe it’s just the album view that doesn’t carry over.

To another poster earlier on the thread. I have this running on a Synology 1812+ NAS with 3Gb of memory. I installed a standalone Samsung SSD, and configured it as /volume4, that is where I installed RoonServer.

The 1812+ is a couple of years old and runs an Intel Atom 2700 CPU, 2 core at 2.13Ghz.

So far the only area which takes a significant hit in performance are searches.

When you change your source from a remote one to a local one, Roon will rescan. However, as it has your old database (assuming the copy action went ok) it will match them back up.
You will see Roon re-scan, but you should not see any ’ new music’ for ’ today’ being added. The music should appear but with old addition dates.

All albums on the overview screens show up as recently added and labeled “new”

than your database copy did not work I suspect, otherwise it would have matched them up.

That’s weird. All the playlists copied nicely.

Where is it stored on the NAS so that I can replace it with the one from my Mac?