Synology vs. QNAP

Is it possible to download the roon server app from the QNAP website and install it on a synology DS918+ ?

Where I live the QNAP costs twice as much but for ease of install and smooth operation if QNAP is a better option I’d gladly go for that. I’d be grateful for your expert advice.

QNAP apps only run on QNAP devices and Synology apps only run on Synology devices.
RoonServer is available for both brands.

I will be very grateful if I can get an answer to this question: Is it possible to download the Roon server app from the QNAP website onto the Synology DS918+ NAS Drive? I would think that it is optimized only for QNAP NAS drives but I thought I"d ask anyway. Thanks very much to anyone who can come up with an answer

You can download the installation for Synology x64 systems (like your DS918+) here:

Christopher gave you the answer twice. You cannot run the QNAP app on the Synology NAS. There is a Synology app that provides the same functionality and it runs on Synology devices. Hopefully that answers your question.

I got it, thank you

Thank you for answering those questions; I have a few more and thank youI again for your patience with my questions. As you have recommended in your writings there needs to be an SSD to install the roon cache. I have the synology DS918+ and at the bottom there are 2 slots for M2 SSD. The technical support person at synology advised me that both M2 slots should be occupied by M2 SSDs; one for reading and the other one for writing. He specifically advised me that these M2 slots are reserved only for cache.

I advised the technical support person that I have two non-M2 Samsung Evo 860 Pro SSDs; one is one 1 TB and the other 2 TB. He advised me that the same read/right formula applies to them as well. He further added that if I get the M2s there would be a lot faster.

I was not aware that I would need two separate SSDs for the cache as I was planning on using the 1 TB drive for cache and the 2 TB Drive for music storage. In the light of what I just told you, what would be your advice? the technical support person told me that the M2s are going to be a lot faster. Do I need 1 or 2 for cache?.

Thank you very much for your expert opinion after you read this.

The m.2 ports can only be used for caching. So your only options with the DS718+ are to use a volume on the internal drives, or attach a USB3 connected ssd storage. Also note, that a ssd is not a requirement as you wrote in your post, it is a recommendation. It will speed things up.

In my own setup I have connected a SSD on a USB3 port, that serves as the storage for RoonServer’s database and use spinning disks on the internal bays for large storage (like the music files)

I can’t say anything about a setup with ssd cache drives as my disk station does not support it. But I assume you will get faster speeds and save money by using the usb connected ssd mentioned above.

So can I use one SSD in an internal drive bay for cache and use the other in another drive bay for storage?

If you want (or need a cache SSD) I’d use the m.2 slots on the bottom of the drive. As I mentioned before, I have no experience about the performance with SSD cache options. But I am pretty convinced that your 1tb SSD cache for a 2 tb SSD volume won’t be noticeable at all and is pretty much wasted.
So if you have those 2 SSDs already you could either set them up as 1 volume or create 2 volumes (1 volume per SSD).
For the music files regular HDDs would also suffice (imho).

Forgive me for not explaining myself clearly, my understanding is that you recommend an SSD for cache and spinning drive for music. Since I already have two SSDs, can one be used for cache and the other for music? I only have about 800 GB of music and it won’t go much beyond that.

In my humble opinion, based on what you have said, what I am understanding (correctly or incorrectly) that I can use the bottom M2 slot for cache and use an internal drive for music storage? Being new to this I don’t know much about the volume concept that you mention . Is the volume same as cache?

Maybe there was a misunderstanding here. The recommendation is, to store Roon‘s database on a SSD.
You can‘t use the M.2 slots for that as they are only utilised by Synology for caching purposes (so you can‘t create a volume or shared folder on them).
There is no real need to have the music stored on a SSD as well. But of course you will have less noise by spinning disks if you do so.

Thank you, now I get it and it explains a lot. Much appreciated

OK here is the situation so far: I have installed a 1 TB SSD in bay one which I have labeled as roon server and installed the Roon package on it. I have also created the volume on it. In Bay 2 I have installed a 2 TB SSD andLabeled as music storage. I have also created a volume on it. It asked me to create a raid each one of these drives is a basic raid. Please note that these are not raided together, they are separate drives. Then I have two western digital 3 TB each hard drive which are a mirror raid and I have named them as roon back up.

So here is where I’m having a problem: when I launch
The Roon application on either my iMac or iPhone it gives me a message that I have not added any music and I should select a folder. Whenever I try to select a folder it always goes to, by default, the first Drive which is the SSD where the Roon server is installed. When I also try to connect to the server it always connect to the first drive and not the second one where I want to store the music. I am able to transfer the music but it always goes to the first drive and not the second one. What am I not doing right? I will say that when the music goes to the first drive it does play through my stereo system which is a Devialet

Could you provide a screenshot of your “Shared Folders” settings in the DSM Control Panel?

Like this:

My Hi Def music files are stored on my iMac’s hard drive and iTunes music on an external thunderbolt HD connected to i Mac

Your first screenshot shows, that your “music” shared folder is located on volume 1. You can double-click the shared folder and specify the volume on which it should be stored on:

where do I access this box that you sent me?

Control Panel -> Shared Folders
Click on the shared folder name and select “Edit” in the top bar.