TailScale interfering with streaming to Roon endpoints

I posted a support request when I was setting up a new Roon server. My old setup was a QNAP TS-253A and worked (works) fine. My new setup is a Beelink SER7 (32GB, 1TB & 2TB SSD, Windows 11). Both run TailScale as subnet routers and also exit nodes.

When I setup the new server, I got a “Too many failures, stopping playback message”. I switched back to my QNAP setup and everything worked fine.

I decided to try turning off TailScale on the SER7 to see what would happen and everything then worked using the SER7 server. I then turned TailScale back on to see if it would fail and IT DID NOT.

FYI for others and if anyone has an idea of the specific cause and best practice for avoiding, please feel free to post.

I run Tailscale in 3 different Roon locations, with Ubuntu Server Roon servers and a variety of endpoints. I’ve had an occasional issue with Roon server or endpoint trying to use their Tailscale IP addresses for discovery, and failing as you describe. I’ve not had that problem in a long while, though, maybe because I taught my Roon servers to give higher priority to LAN routes over the Tailscale ones. There should be something similar for Windows.

One way to check is to use the Roon remove app to verify via Settings>Audio that all IP addresses are LAN addresses, not Tailscale ones.

1 Like

Thanks - good suggestions.