Taking a break from Roon

Sorry to say but after 7 years a Roon user, I have now let my subscription slide due to ongoing bugs that are not being fixed as a priority (at least for me and others). One in particualr has been a real pain, but its not just this its a whole series of events over the last 18 months that for me have made Roon a lot less stable than it was. I had a pretty trouble free experience up unitl 2.0 and its been a slide downhill since. I dont run on underpowered hardware, dont have an excessively large library and have a well designed and stable network. Its not a performance issue its just accumaltive issues that have cropped up over this period and stayed around much longer than they should. I had hoped things would change by the time my renewal came up but sadly not. I know support are doing their best, but for me its currently not at a level that matches what I expect and Support in general needs to come off the forum and have a proper system outside of other users interference and noise.

Its been 5 months nearly now since many of us users have been plagued with constant remote crashing issues. As this is the only way to use Roon and its just not stable any more from a control standpoint as it happens across all versions of the software, pc,mac, iOS and Android I have had to make a stand the only way I know how and that is to stop my financial contribution.

If and when the software returns to a state in which I deem acceptable again I will return, but until then I am using alternative software that does fullfill most of my requirements. Its not as nice as Roon but it works and its free.

I will be still hanging around the music threads here as they are my favourite places. I wont contribute to support threads any more but likely pop up here and there and keep an eye on progress for my many tickets I have active in reagrds to bugs.

Any way please Roon take this onboard and look to fix these type of problms sooner rather than let them escalate. I really love this software and its not been an easy decision to walk away but sometimes you have to let the wallet do the talking for things to change. I hope it does.

7 Likes

Sad to see you go, but I’m glad that you’re staying with the music threads. :smile:

3 Likes

I understand your decision and hope that at some point you will rate Roon in such a way that you will want to use it again.

1 Like

I want to use it, but I don’t want to pay for a broken experience which at the moment it is for me. Having to constantly close the app and reopen it for basic operation is just not what I expect.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, this is true.
As a Roon Lifer, I have to continue to be patient with the issues that are not yet running smoothly.

2 Likes

Sad to see you go. The Control aspect of Roon is the most important part from a user perspective, so to let it get into this condition you describe for so long is completely unacceptable and reflects badly on the product. No idea what has happened but my perception (judging by release notes) is that ARC has had the lion’s share of dev time since its release, to the detriment of the server and the control programs.

2 Likes

Exactly it lives or dies by the app that controls the experience, not the fancy features.

3 Likes

As others say, glad you’re sticking around the forum and music threads.

As you know I was getting frustrated last year for various reasons.

I can’t explain, technically, why my current use of Roon has improved tremendously.

Whether you return to use Roon is a matter of time :wink:, just as long as you stick around here.

BTW - good feedback post :+1:

1 Like

Yep its an odd one. I even changed my server in hope it might solve it, but it didnt. As its not just me I am confident its not my setup, but something in Roon thats triggering the behviour. It didnt do it before Novembers update so something changed.

2 Likes

Oh yes :anguished: that is a constant problem :anguished: and there is no statement from @support about that.

I hope you will be back again later. Have always valued your feedback and input. Thanks for that.

Torben

4 Likes

I saw this with my iPhone. Now, I use a Pixel 7, and it does it, too. However, with GrapheneOS, it captures memory allocation errors when this occurs. This information has been passed to the developers.

Does it across all remotes in my case, pc and mac not as often but does happen, and it affects my Fiio Mii Plus even worse than iOS.

Well, I use a Linux desktop, and Roon remote is currently unusable if I switch focus to another app; it just freezes. It’s been like this on-and-off for months. I know I’m using Wine, but it’s the same behaviour.

Nowadays, I use Roon Web Client most of the time, or just play CDs. But this means no library management; I’ve already given up on Valence for music discovery. What’s left?

2 Likes

Why do you have to?

Well, the money is invested and I can’t reverse it; and I’m basically happy with Roon. Only the many little bugs are annoying, especially those in the iOS and iPadOS remotes.

2 Likes

Both iPhone and iPad :smiling_face_with_tear:

Torben

I suppose we all have different tolerances to lack of perfection.

I am having the same experiences with Roon Remote as you have, and it is very frustrating. Guess I’m just too stubborn to quit.
Good luck to you!

There is lack of perfection which Roon has always had and there is broken, these are very different things and currently this falls in the latter for me. Having to fully restart an app each time you need to control playback, volume change etc then the software is broken and not fit for the job it’s designed.

2 Likes

I wonder why it only seems to be a problem for some users, possibly it needs us all to define our systems in order to look for commonality?

Could there be a certain mix of equipment that exacerbates the issues? Or a defined usage pattern that would help to indicate causation?