Taking a risk with an Audiolab 9000n

That’s up to you entirely.

Looks like Cambridge also doing it right. Launched CXN100 and it’s Roon Ready on the partners page.

4 Likes

Depending on where you bought it. Online? I’d return it. A trusted dealer? I’d talk to them and maybe get something in writing that I can return it after some wait time if nothing happens. But all up to you

I am not keeping it. They must take it back as it is the law here in UK. I am looking at the Ifi streamer dac. I use their cleaner plug or whatever it’s called. It makes a big difference to sound.

Or i am going for an ordinary DAC.

I naver used a USB lead that didn’t have the ‘tunnel’ shaped input. The IfI and other brabd use the falt input which means I will need a different cable for my Micro Rendu as it has the tunnel input at one end.

It’s very naughty of Audiolab to promote/advertise this streamer inaccurately.

It’s probably in the ‘Certification’ stage with Roon, and Audiolab probably thought it might be approved before it was released. I’m not making excuses for them though!

It might get Roon approval soon. But it might not? Look at Hegel, for example.

It’s not a cheap streamer. If I were you (which I’m not), I’d return it.

1 Like

Yep, the Sale of Goods Act 1979 stipulates that goods are to be as described, and this includes the description from a brochure or website. Since you purchased from a retailer, it is their responsibility to rectify the issue.

1 Like

Yes. I am going to call them tomorrow. They do an Auralic streamer.

1 Like

It isn’t clear whether the Auralic G1.1 is Roon Ready. Auralic say it is. It is not on the Roon list! But it seems all other Auralic are!

I have no DAC now. My OPPO 205 died and cannot be repaired anymore.

1 Like

Well, do you need a Roon Ready (i.e. a network device) or just a DAC you can connect with USB (or some other) cable? If it is the latter, you could really get anything that fits your preferences and budget. Roon Tested means that you will get a prettier little icon in Roon, and, well, it has been tested to work, but pretty much anything standards-compliant should work as well.

If it is the former, well, some gear advertised as “Roon Ready” takes months to actually become certified. Sometimes years pass and it still isn’t (here looking at Anthem). In that case I’d probably return it . For the price of 9000n you could get several EverSolo’s or something like a HiFi Rose (which has its own software issues, but Roon has been working impeccably for me).

RPi4 and a USB DAC.

Or that, but I am working on an assumption that the OP wants an audio component that works out of the box.

On that route, unless I’ve wanted to tinker with stuff, I’d get a Gole 2 Pro or similar, and plug it in a DAC, at least it takes Windows drivers for anything that has them, and works as a full Roon Remote…

Have been looking at HIFI ROSE only the old 250 is in the Roon list, not the 250a which is the only one available to buy. Also I have looked at loads of DACS which say RR or RT and they don’t appear in the Roon list. What is going on? Does no at Roon worry about it? I am talking big name DACS. Am I to assume that if onr model is RR or RT then then upgrade will be, as it says it is, even if not on the Roon list?

Onc I have sent this back I have no way to listen to my music.

At this point all Rose devices that can be Roon Ready are Roon Ready, as indicated on Roon’s Partners page. There is no difference between base and lettered variants that affects Roon (supposedly they have some upgraded DAC hardware but alleged changes exist purely for calming down nervous audiophiles, not anything that could be heard by a person, or even a bat).

A lot of manufacturers release devices that are supposed to be certified eventually with ad campaigns that the device is Roon Ready (e.g. Rose 130 at the release; although it is a rather pointless device to begin with), but certification takes longer than expected (if it ever happens), and we end up where we are.

That said, 250(A) should work just fine, and it is quite good as a Roon endpoint.

I assume you do not need the preamp and power amp features, in which case 520 would give you a single box solution for the price of the 9000n.

Of course, as others mentioned above, if you do not mind a bit of tinkering, an RPi or a mini-PC with a decent DAC will give you same sound quality for 1/10th of the price, too. But thjere definitely is something to having HiFi components that actually look like HiFI components.

I use MBPro for my Roon serevr and ext SSD for the music. This all went titsup when the OPPO died.

Thank you for telling me you did as I think I like the Rose 250a from what I have read.

You’re welcome!

Makes sense.

RS-250 is a nice streamer. Way overkill if you were to connect it directly over USB (screen won’t show much anything interesting apart from VU meters, I think), but if you stream it is good. RS-150 is better on paper but not in any way that can be heard so unless you really want the bigger screen (or have need for XLR outputs) I’d go with 250 and save both some space and money.

And Cambridge Audio. Its brand new CXN 100 released is Roon Ready.

Edit:

Ah you’ve already mentioned it later.

@Knitman I recommend taking a look at Cambridge Audio. I’m very satisfied with my CXNv2. Its successor the CXN 100 released this week and is Roon Ready as well.

1 Like

I went for an Auralic G1.1. The dealer is extremely personable, we chatted for ages. I was a bit iffy about my first choice, Project DAC Box RS2 and when I told Sam I might go for that, he went and got another man, John, who politely called me sir until I said Colin will be just fine. Anyway, John said 'I don’t want to offend you, but you have already told us your other equipment and I can tell you as your choice is between the Auralic and the Pro-Ject, get the Auralic. I just know you will not like the Pro-Ject, it just is not in the same bracket as you other equipment.

As it has be ordered from somewhere on mainland Europe they are sanding their demo one to be here Tuesday to use until the new one arrives. That is what I call service. They will also pick up the 9000n at the same time as they deliver the Auralic. They will no doubt be having a stern chat with Audiolab on Monday!

Thank you kindly everyone for your input. It has been very helpful.

PS: If my OPPO 205 had not died I would not have been after another DAC. I have been very happy with a 2019 MBPro as my Roon Server and the audio on an ext 4TB SSD. And Qobuz and HQPLayer. BTW my years old Wire World have both failed. At the time of buying I wondered if I was being duped but now I am temporarily back to using plain old thin black RCAs, I can tell you the difference is very obvious.

5 Likes

Altair or Aries?

Wouldn’t the “cable” difference be because your original Oppo had died and you are using something else?

2 Likes

Altair.

No. I am using one Wire World cable to connect front speakers to Audiolab 8300A and the crackling has gone. However the longer WW cable is dead as when I plug it in I only get sound on one side.

New cables will arrive today. QED.