Terrible experience on the weekend - spinning wheel trying to load the UI

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

I had a terrible experience on the weekend try to demonstrate two systems via two endpoints. Especially from the macbook as remote (core is a dedicated i9 device). Moving around in Roon a lot to find tracks to play and also checking the queue, Roon would work for 30mins ok and then just seize up. Still play what was in the queue but spinning wheel trying to load the UI). Incredibly bad.

I have 100,000 tracks. I found a while back that having a root folder for each album wasn’t great and moved them into a folder for each letter of the alphabet (eg Tool in “T”). This sped things up well but now I wonder if they’re not nested enough. Is this even a thing?

Hugo, as you can read from the posts above, 100,000 tracks is not an especially “large” library. The performance problems you are seeing are likely to be caused by some other factor(s).

The organisation of album folders can possibly be a factor. Many people organise them by Artist / Album (probably because this is the default organisation used by many ripping applications), but having them in alphabet folders should not be an issue. Something else is going on I suspect.

Your best course of action, rather than tack your question onto an old discussion is to open a new support request in this Support category of the forum. The Roon Support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem.

In order for Roon’s Support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup and the nature of the issue using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they have a clear understanding of how your devices are connected. Thanks.

1 Like

I have my fascination with several million titles. Yes there are optimizations, tricks and other things that help especially large databases. If there are problems on the weekend, it can also be because the train is simply too full for the comfortable ride of the many passengers.

We can only optimize on our system, what concerns our provider, the worldwide network load, cloud services, etc., they make their own considerations according to average transport needs.

Currently there is a general problem in progress, which is not related to the database size.

Every formatting system has its limits and very many folders need more order. The first letter of an artist or the decade of a collector can be the bridge to better structure the folder needs. If you collect artists more intensively, even a structure there can help. My scheme is:

x:\19xx
x:\200x
if it becomes too many x:\2020
when it becomes too many x:\2021

even if they do high artist differentiation, there won’t be so many folders at any level that Roon gets in trouble.

It also helps Roon if you give references to versions EP, Single, Album, Explicit, Live, Origin…

It’s enough if you separate everything neatly with only one letter (version A-Z). Everything is recognized and assigned faster.

1 Like

Following up on Geoff post, I’ve split this out to it’s own topic.

@Hugo_Sharp, if you could provide the addition details requested this will help Roon’s support team to assist you.