Tesla coils as audio gear?

I was reading a review of an expensive Danish integrated amp which comes in several variations. The more expensive models have more of something I’ve never heard mentioned before in the audiophile context:

Knowing that the U-280 only differs from the U-180 in the number of Tesla Coils, I wondered, would this step really make a significant difference?

Forgive my ignorance, but I always throught Tesla coils were mainly used for background color in the mad scientist’s laboratory, in old B&W monster movies (on the right, in the below image)? Do they have some application in the audio realm as well?

If they do, it would be Aavik’s invention… Not to say that it is impossible, but Audio Group Denmark is kind of known for high concentration of snake oil. It would be quite interesting to see how that works out. The rest of the amp is a decent off the shelf class-D module, so having Tesla coils improve sound further would be neat.

1 Like

Good way to increase ozone levels in the room, I guess. I heard it isn’t very good for your health though…

Indeed. I’ve worked with Corona units that were deployed to improve the surface tension and adhesion properties of various polymers. They are a high maintenance piece of equipment if used continuously. I’m struggling to understand how Corona/Plasma treatment would improve the sound of a tweeter? Dyne levels will decrease over time and yes ozone can be a problem for both health and damage to metal parts.

“The fascination of the CORONA plasma tweeter lies in the hard-to-describe lightness of treble reproduction”

Hard to describe. I’ll bet.

Kind of an interesting idea, though. I feel I’ve seen that done before, maybe in some science fiction movie. “Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow”, perhaps?

Tesla coils, anyway:

Then somehow modulated to create sound and a holographic image:

“I am the last desperate chance for a doomed planet…”

But the Aavik integrated amp isn’t a speaker, so I still don’t understand how Tesla coils are used therein.

A Tesla coil is an electrical resonant transformer circuitdesigned by inventor Nikola Tesla in 1891.[1] It is used to produce high-voltage, low-current, high-frequency alternating-current electricity.[2] Tesla experimented with a number of different configurations consisting of two, or sometimes three, coupled resonant electric circuits.

High voltage, low current, High frequency. The low current (amperage) is why it can be “ played “ around with while not being lethal. How it would be used in an amplifier circuit is curious but not necessarily revolutionary. Bottom line is that it’s a step up transformer.

1 Like
1 Like