Test: Optical Isolation - Switch with SFP-Uplink

I did a small test (€) today:

The configuration (based on Cisco Meraki Go 8 Port Switch (GS110-8-HW-EU):

1 X Mini Unmanaged 1x 10/100/1000Base-T RJ45 to 1x 1000Base-X SFP Slot Gigabit Ethernet Media Converter, European Plug standard - € 34,51

2 X Cisco GLC-SX-MM Compatible 1000BASE-SX SFP 850nm 550m DOM Duplex LC MMF Transceiver Module - € 16,66

1 X 1m (3ft) LC UPC to LC UPC Duplex OM2 Multimode PVC (OFNR) 2.0mm Fiber Optic Patch Cable - € 5,59

In total = € 56,76

Did it bring SQ improvement? Yes - a more clear soundstage. Was it a big improvement? No, a small one - nice but small.

Will do some more testing this WE on this little cheap solution.

Have a nice WE

Torben

EDIT: Test setup

1 Like

Hi Torben are you running this to your endpoint and then connecting that to the media converter on Ethernet?
I always like try tests, both objective and subjective (it’s the tinkerer in me).

By using a mediaconverter and wallwart, there i a new distortion kid in town :roll_eyes:

This is the test setup:

1 Like

Thanks Torben that’s exactly what I was thinking :+1:
Great that it’s working out for you, even if only a small uptick in performance.

It’s something that I keep thinking about and then remember that I am trying to simplify my living room setup :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

And a cheap test :slight_smile: The “optimal solution” is more expensive:

Sonore Optical Module Deluxe II (OMD) copper to fiber [RJ45 to SFP vv] € 490.76
Power supply - SGC 7v LPS Power Supply and Regular DC Cable (220V) € 199.00
systemOptique Certified SFP module (2) € 41,90
systemOptique Certified Fiber Optic Cable € 20,95
Subtotal € 752,61

Subtotal incl. taxes € 895,61

I am not sure I want to spend that money. Time will show :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah yes, a cheap test is good a test for something like this.

I have all the gear to test this unused in the office (besides the Linn selekt :grin:) and maybe when I can send the wife away for a couple of days then I will have a play.

1 Like

And another option to try is a better power supply for the FMC box…I have these in my network setup too, but with UniFi. The FMC is from FS.com for those that are interested.

1 Like

@wizardofoz - what power supply are you using for the FMC box?

This. Powering the FMC and my Lumin D1. The FMC can be run from 5-12VDC

I’ve also used the Jay’s Audio/LHY LMPS or HDPlex LMPS’s

1 Like

Hi @Torben_Rick ,

Happy to see that you adopted the option that I advised to you in the thread that was closed.
Power the media converter with a LPS, and you’ll get an additional improvement.

1 Like

Yes that would be a good idea. But, not sure I will go with LPS. Right now I am looking at SOtM sPS-500 - that would give me the option of 7Vdc, 9Vdc, 12Vdc, 19Vdc selectable output voltage. That way I would be flexibel, if I want to use the power supply for something else.

1 Like

Could you try the Cisco switch attached to the Linn end? I guess you would need another switch. The Cisco might be better than the FMC.

Have done different test - different SFP’s and cable. This is my favorite setup:

1 Like