Testing IPv6 support in Roon (for users locked out of ARC due to ISP reliance on IPv6 or CGNAT)

Those are remote control programs. I think he was suggesting that Roon utilize a solution Like those programs, not, putting those programs forward AS a solution.

1 Like

That makes sense. Would that be a better solution than port forwarding model?

As far as I know, Starlink IPv6 users still cannot connect remotely via Roon ARC. I have an IPv6 address from Starlink which has remained static for over a year. All IPv6 services except for Roon ARC are working perfectly on my system. The Roon ARC test succeeds with no errors and I can connect to Roon ARC port on my ROCK over the public internet using various IPv6 test tools. However, Roon ARC fails and neither my ROCK or my router show any connection attempt when I do this. I’ve been told by Roon support that Roon ARC is logging a specific error when trying to connect to Starlink IPv6 addresses that may be related to having a leading zero in the 3rd address group (which is perfectly valid).

If anyone has been able to successfully use Roon ARC over Starlink IPv6, please post here and tell the community how you did this. It would also be nice to get an update from Roon support regarding this issue.

I was replying to “Is IP V6 access for ARC now in general release, or would I need to sign up for early access?”

It’s the same in general release as in EA, so switching to EA was not needed, and Starlink is not the only ISP who was affected by ARC’s original IPv4-only limitation.

As for Starlink, this seems to depend on the specific kind of connection one has:

Hi, thanks for the response. Sorry, I meant to reply to the “Testing IPv6 support for Roon” topic and not to you specifically.

As I mentioned, it would be great to know if anyone has been able to connect remotely with Roon ARC over Starlink IPv6. My connection is setup exactly as Roon specified using the Starlink bridge adapter with a 3rd party router and it passes all of the Roon ARC tests. Unfortunately Roon ARC fails and logs an “IPv6 error in the 10th character position” when trying to reach my ROCK and every other Starlink IPv6 customer I’ve spoken with has this same problem.

1 Like

Oh ok, no worries :slightly_smiling_face:

This 10th character position thing rings a bell. Is there a (leading?) zero in that part of the address?

Yes. Afaik, all Starlink residential (56) IPv6 addresses have a leading zero in the 3rd group so the first non-zero character in that group is the 10th character position.

I’m wondering if their code is assuming that a leading zero in the third group means the entire group should be 0.0.0.0?

I saw some posts about this, I think by Connor, in Starlink threads. Looks to me like this needs fixing

Connor said they are working on it…

2 Likes

Hi @Suedkiez, @Dean_Kimball,

Sorry for the delay here - I wanted to provide an official update.

There’s a nomenclature disagreement between ARC and Starlink’s IPv6 that should be resolvable. We’re investigating and have an active ticket with ARC and Roon development.

We recently overhauled connectivity in ARC as part of a large suite of performance improvements: Roon 2.0.20 and ARC 1.0.41 are live!. We now have the team bandwidth and a clean sandbox to investigate and resolve IPv6 issues with Starlink.

Allow me to sync internally today with development and I’ll provide as precise an update as possible. We understand this is a core feature blockage and requires Starlink users to pursue workarounds (at best). Thank you for your patience and we’ll communicate with you as this ticket progresses through the pipeline.

1 Like

Great to see that the team is working on that!

Please do not forget about the same issue with Vodafone Cable (Germany), it is not only Starlink customers who cannot use ARC…

Hope I can use ARC one day as well. Thanks again for working on that to the Roon team.

Did you try calling them and asking for a real IPv4 address instead of DS-Lite? It often works (might depend on your region).

(I got a small/home business internet account instead, costs a few euros more (if at all, I switched to faster speed too; insignificant in any case) but includes a real IPv4 address in the contract)

1 Like

What about T-Mobile 5G customers? Anything going open there?

1 Like

Hi Connor,

Thank you for the update. I’m glad to hear the team is making progress. I’ll be happy to help with any customer testing you may need on this issue, just let me know.

Dean

I don’t think for us we will have anything. T-Mobile essentially blocks anything in or out of the network. I also have T-Mobile Home internet as well.

No. I use AnyDesk and TeamViewer all the time. Roon needs to come up with a method of establishing connections like these programs do. If they did, we would not have any of these issues people have with ARC now. You would not have to setup port forwarding or special ports manually in the router. The way ARC is implemented was Roon’s choice…and I think the wrong one. They did it to get ARC out there even though they new it would be problematic for MANY customers.

Anydesk aren’t permanently streaming hires audio files through their servers

A system could be setup where the local Roon server sets up a connection with the ARC client. That would be facilitated by the Roon corporate systems we have to be logged into to use Roon.

Perhaps in 10 chars

It’s the same issue as Plex. This simply doesn’t work that way. A port must be forwarded out which is not possible with CGNAT as you would have to route the traffic outside of your home LAN and then outside of the NAT layer, it’s essentially a double NAT. Your best bet would be to use a VPN as a relay, some VPN providers allow one to forward a port through the VPN which when running on the same device as the Roon core could allow the traffic to route outside of your network.

Edit: I want to expand on this, ARC like Plex would simply use too much bandwidth to work like Teamviewer. Teamviewer makes an https connection to a Teamviewer server from the host and then the remote will also connect to that server to display the contents of the host. This isn’t very intensive, it’s essentially a tightly compressed video stream and a seperate stream to emulate HIDs (mouse/kb). ARC would have to do this with high res FLAC files which would basically be impossible due to the bandwidth needed to facilitate this for ever single Roon user, that is why a direct connection to the core is needed.