Text in roon menus are missing letters

Dear Staff:

I employ the latest build of roon core, and just noticed that the text in menus (see attachment) are incomplete – letters in the text are missing, i.e., Disable Volume Control appears as Disable of me Control. This is global throughout menus. Haven’t a clue as to what is causing this change in the appearance of text in menus, nor what to do to cure this recent peccadillos. Can you please help me to cure this problem as it is problematic to read words with missing letters of text.

This is recent. I do not know precisely when this condition started. Thank you in advance for any help.

Best,
Richard

Hi Richard,

That is quite odd and not something I’ve seen before. It’s not happening on my iPad remote. I expect you would have power cycled and it’s continuing ?

Could you describe the hardware and OS on the relevant machine(s).

I’ve heard of graphics elements playing up with very large libraries as a result of 32 bit limitations. What size are you at ?

Mike or Vova will pick this up on their usual rounds of Support and should be in touch shortly.

Hi, I’m having a similar problem and couldn’t find anything in the forum to help.

1. I have just downloaded Roon for the first time for the 14 day trial.
  2. I’ve installed it and then clicked the icon to start Roon and proceed with my setup.
  3. The setup screen is completely garbled and unreadable, all the text is solid blocks.
    A screenshot is attached.

System: MacBook running OS Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F1021)

This doesn’t bode well for the software if even the setup screen doesn’t work.

and this screenshot from an earlier attempt today.

Hello andybob,

The core program is installed on my Mac Mini 2011, Thunderbolt, 2.7GHz, i7, 16GB ram, OS X 10.11.1, and roon 1.1.70. Nothing changed since becoming a lifetime license member. Updates as usual. This is NEW to me. Never happened before. Not sure what you’re asking me about 32bit limitations. NOTHING has changed but the roon build to the most recent program. If you observe my screen capture, text letters are missing. This has nothing to do with my iPad remote.

I also just booted up my iMac and the roon remote client (as opposed to the remote app) and this is not an issue with the menu text.

I really would appreciate some help from @Mike or @Vova as this is quite disconcerting as the attachment demonstrates. I am only referring to the Core program menu’s as my attachment of the screen capture demonstrates.

Thank you for your help.

Best,
Richard

I’m sure @mike or @vova will be in touch.

Typically these graphics issues are caused whenthe graphics card runs into memory issues. You don’t mention what your graphics card is. If you have one, it is worth checking that Roon.exe is using the separate graphics card rather than integrated graphics on your main CPU.

Also, are you running Roon or Roonserver ? The latter is also helpful to manage issues with memory usage.

Hello Nick,

Thank you. I just rebooted my system, and the peccadillo corrected itself. See the new screen capture and compare. The problem seems to have corrected itself. No need for the calvary. And thank you for the call (smile).

Best,
Richard

Hello Nick, again,

Just for the sake of closure, I am employing roon core 1.1.70. Installed roon on or about June 9. Updated roon core whenever a new build was published. My Mac Mini, mid 2011, under graphics is listed as AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB, which is factory installed at time of purchase. Don’t believe it is regarded as a separate graphics card rather than one integrated on main CPU.

The problem cured itself, inexplicably, in the same way as it showed up.

I merely supplying this information should anyone else encounter this issue. Otherwise, out of sight, out of mind.

Best,
Richard

Hi Craig,
Are you continuing to see graphics glitches after powercycling ? If so we will ask the devs to investigate.

Hi, sorry for the delayed response.
I rebooted the machine and the issue seems to have resolved itself.
For the time being it’s working OK. Thanks for the responses.

Hi

Sorry to say but the display errors have reared their ugly head again:

1. This time it’s a combination of blocked out letters and missing letters. Once again I attached a screenshot from my MacBook Pro.
  2. I also had this issue using my LG G2 Android phone as a remote. I could not install the remote app from the playstore (supposedly unsupported) so installed it from the link in this thread.
    I tried getting a screenshot of the issue on my phone but between changing context to my phone browser to figure out how to do a screenshot and going back to the Roon app the problem went away. In the phone’s case it was track listings for an album that were unreadable.

So, seeing as I’m having similar issues manifesting on separate devices I would suspect it’s not a deice issue (although I could be wrong seeing as the remote app is controlling the MacBook and I don’t know how your rendering engines work.)

I’ve tried to reproduce the issue in a consistent manner but it’s seems to be random.

Hi Craig,

I’ve taken the [Solved] flag down :cry:; sorry to hear the issue is recurring. I agree that it is strange for a rendering bug to appear on multiple devices.

Let’s leave a notification for @mike and @vova to look in and investigate further.

Hey @Craig_Reynolds – sorry for the trouble here.

Can you give us a sense of how many tracks are in your library? Are you running anything else on your Macbook that might be using a significant amount of graphics memory, like Photoshop, Lightroom or web browser with many open tabs?

After a reboot, I assume the issue goes away, at least temporarily? Can you confirm in the Setup tab of Settings what setting you’re running for “Memory for Photo/Artwork”? It might be worth lowering that a step or two and seeing if things improve, but let me know the answers to the above and we’ll figure out how to get this resolved for you.

Hi

1. I’m pretty certain I shut down all other applications when testing Roon. I definitely had no photo software running, I don’t have photoshop/lightroom installed on the system, only picassa and it was not open.
  2. Yes, rebooting temporarily resolves things. But after a while it starts up again.
  3. I am just using a test bed of 493 FLAC & MP3s (62 albums) which is a fraction of my full library.

Hmm, can you give us a little more information about your Macbook? This is almost always caused by Roon running out of graphics memory, which is why I asked if anything else running on your system might be graphics-heavy.

I’d be particularly interested to know about the graphics card and year of the MacBook , then I should be able to make some recommendations and get this stable for you. Sorry for the trouble here @Craig_Reynolds!

Hi.
This is what I have:
Macbook Pro. 13" Late 2011
Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
4GB Memory
2.4Gz Intel Core i5

Hi Mike

Earlier in this thread I commented that my phone was displaying the same behaviour but didn’t get a screenshot, well this time I captured it, see below.
Once again, the issue is inconsistent. Last time it was the tracklisting on the phone that gave the issue.

I don’t get the logic because I don’t understand the interaction between mac and phone. If the phone app is simply a reflection of what is rendered on the MacBook then I could understand that both phone and mac display the same behaviour. But I would assume the phone app is a completely separate GUI that just streams raw data from the Mac and renders it locally.
So by extension, perhaps the issue is in UTF support at the character level (or something.)
It’s been a while since I coded in anger so I’m not au fait with current coding models.

If you’re US based have a good Thanksgiving.

I get these missing letters semi-regularly on my Nexus 9; a reboot always cures it.

@Craig_Reynolds

You might want to try running roonserver.exe rather than roon.exe on your core machine. Check existing forum posts for simple steps to make the switch.

This will lift the load on your core graphics CPU which is most likely causing this issue across all devices.

Hi Nick

If it’s an .exe than I assume it’s for windows? Is there a similar roonserver executable for mac?

Craig