Thank goodness for EAC in Parallels (narrative guide to ripping CDs securely on Mac)

It definitely has a GUI, which I use, but I’m on one of the last Intel MacBook Pros so can’t comment on M1/2 chips.
It’s free so I guess you can give it a go and report back if you get a chance.

[Edit: I’ve since realised lots of you good people have already said it works on M1/2 chips]

Any one have a promo code for dbpoweramp, I might give it a go. :yum:

Sign me up too if anyone has a promo code!

I still buy them, especially box sets, but they mostly get ripped and put it case logic cases in the attic as a backup of the backups.
Though I have about 70 or so in the living room for the first time in about 20 years. The wife gave me the look, but stopped at that. I dust the storage boxes they are in, so I get a pass for that :blush:

It’s not as enjoyable as playing vinyl, but I still enjoy selecting a CD and putting it into the drive and listening to it, just more involved than streaming. Though I stream about 90% of the time. So I guess a change is as good as a rest after all.

3 Likes

I’ve always heard for years that X Lossless Decoder (XLD) on OSX/MacOs was functionally equivalent to EAC on Windows for making perfect rips. Maybe give that a try so you don’t have to run a hypervisor just to rip CDs.

Thanks for the comments here. I’m apparently the “man from the past” when it comes to ripping. The last time I did a full pass over my CDs was 2009 (based on file creation dates). The may be the last time I bought a CD.

XLD was straightforward to set up including using AWS for cover art. I do have a few CDs kicking around that I never ripped - so thanks for the pointers in that direction.

I have what I hope is a silly question for you folks. Did anything change in FLAC or with respect to the state of the art of metadata that would somehow justify re-rips? I did a quick comparison of what XLD produces using FLAC at the highest compression rate and the resulting files were just about exactly the same size as what I have from 2009. The differences were small enough to be attributable to different album art. Back in 2009 I was clever enough to use large art and embed it in every file, so that alone wouldn’t justify another pass.

Any thoughts?

Probably not worth re-ripping. I’m only doing it because back then hard drives were much smaller and I’ve ripped everything to 320 kbit AAC to save space.

But now having a 2 tb hard drive connected to my Roon Core and an 18 tb media drive connected to my M1 MacBook Pro storage isn’t an issue anymore. So I’m updating my own music CD’s from AAC to uncompressed FLAC.

1 Like

If you have Windows available, grab a copy of CUETools (it’s free). It’s the only utility I know of that will actually repair a rip with errors. It can reconstruct a FLAC file based on information in the CUETools Database to fix a rip with bad sectors. There are limits, but when you’re dealing with used CDs, you can still end up with a perfect rip when XLD/EAC/dBpoweramp can’t extract the data securely.

1 Like

Thanks @EvilGnome6 - worth playing with.

@Johnny_Ooooops - I just got this working in a Parallels VM on a MacStudio. Took a couple of fixes to get it going. If you want to play with it, you’ll need to download and unzip it, then do the following:

In PowerShell (not a cmd shell), run this:

dir -Path {cue tools path} -Recurse | Unblock-File

That’ll fix an issue that results from Windows setting a block bit on some or all of the plugin dlls included in the package. Without this, the FLAC decoder is unavailable.

Then delete the file called “user_profiles_enabled” in the CUETools install directory. With that file present, it tries to write settings out to your user profile directory and it’s getting blocked. Remove the file and it’ll write settings to the install directory.

1 Like

Also, I dunno @Carl about the Tinkering reclassification… not sure ripping in parallels is the same thing as tinkering by running your CORE in a non-supported way, and it devolved into “how ya rippin’ these days anyhoo?”. But doesn’t really matter to me, just saying. I think you mods do a lot of valuable stuff, sometimes I scratch my head, but may just be me. Anyways, thanks for the stuff you do that we all agree is very high value.

It’s not a Roon Discussion, I viewed it as software project which fits #tinkering … see …

It could be argued #audio-gear-talk but I thought here was more appropriate.

2 Likes

Looking into CueTools - the repair ability is amazing. But I have a question about its ability to split single-album-FLACs… I have about a dozen albums that I ripped to a single file (one .flac file for the whole album, not separate tracks). Somewhere along the way I lost the associated CUE sheets. Is there a place to find CUE sheets? These aren’t super-common albums (Sinatra’s Christmas Album, Solstice by Ralph Townes, Paul Bley Quartet with John Surman, …) so they’re not in Cue Sheet Heaven. I could try to generate my own by ear, or I could dig through crates in my attic and re-rip these albums. Both sounds really really time consuming.

Thanks… and I’m looking forward to getting to know the tool on Parallels! Another reason to keep it.

Not that I know of. If the CUE Sheet is embedded in the FLAC, XLD will detect it and ask if you want to use it. I would be inclined to re-rip but I enjoy ripping. :slight_smile: Worst case, you might be able to construct a CUE Sheet with the CD TOC information on MusicBrainz. For example:

https://musicbrainz.org/cdtoc/gexSyZUQ8hEd7utVg2DkCu2CPto-

If you can find your release on MusicBrainz, check the Disc IDs tab to see if anyone has uploaded one.

XLD is pretty awesome. Was ripping an album with dBpoweramp. And it kept crunching on the last 2 tracks. Gave XLD a try and it ripped both tracks without issues.

1 Like

One question for all the folks who have been using XLD for a long time…

What about albums that arent in CDDB? I subscribed long ago to GDD3, which means that EAC finds metadata for basically every album. I find that when I’m buying recordings that aren’t available on Qobuz/Tidal, the likelihood that there’s no CDDB entry goes up a fair bit. What do you do - type it in? Switch to a different product?

Thanks!

I use MusicBrainz (XLD has an option to get metadata from there instead). If the MusicBrainz entry doesn’t exist, I add it.

Note the “Get Metadata from URL…” option. It can take any MusicBrainz or Discogs link. That’s handy if you don’t want to add metadata.

That’s magic. Enabled me to get the CD from AccurateRip, when it wasn’t finding it before. Very very nice. So good.

2 Likes

Uncle.

XLD is so much better.

I’m glad I have parallels - it was so darn easy to set up. Totally worth the subscription for windows Excel alone. But there’s also a bunch of freeware / tools that work better in windows.

But XLD >> EAC.

No joke, far far better.

Thanks to all who convinced me to go for it.

2 Likes

I’ve just completed ripping my music CD collection to FLAC. Most albums dBpoweramp didn’t have issues with. However there were a handful of albums that dBpoweramp failed to read. Or failed to rip. XLD read those discs with no problems and ripped them successfully as well.

1 Like

Pro tips. Use Window mode instead of Coherence mode (unless you’re a psychopath). Lock down the VMs so they don’t have unlimited access to the Mac file system. Turn off all of the bi-directional app sharing. Just get a VM running in a Window. Use Snapshots. Use them often. When you want to evaluate or play with a piece of Windows software, create a snapshot. If it doesn’t play out, just revert.

Thanks for this chat on ripping. I learned a few things. Appreciate it!