Thanks for NUC 10 Rock compatibility

I have been running ROCK on a NUC 10 with little trouble for a month or so. I did have to make some BIOS changes to install and to use an USB-Ethernet dongle to get network connectivity, but, once I got it running, the only minor hiccup has been that I sometimes need to remove and reinsert the dongle to establish a network connection after reboot.

After installing today’s ROCK update, I briefly couldn’t find the NUC at its static IP address, but I was able to find it by accessing a DHCP-assigned address that I found in the control app settings. Once at the web UI, I found that I had two enabled Ethernet connections, one at the static and the other at the dynamic address.

It occurred to me that the update might be the NUC 10-compatible update that @danny mentioned, so I experimented. I shut down the NUC, detached the dongle, inserted the Ethernet cable, and restarted the NUC. It immediately popped up at its bookmarked static address and has been maintaining a network connection all morning.

The dongle method worked pretty well, but I am happy to see the hardware working as intended and Roon supporting the current NUC versions officially. Thanks for that.

9 Likes

After trying Roon (I like the simplicity and metadata presentation) on the PC (and after years of JRiver and Foobar usage) I finally decided I needed something much easier (after a day of work I just want to hit play, no fiddling), so I installed Rock on a 10i7 NUC (8i7 getting harder to find here in Switzerland, besides prices are almost the same, so I was waiting for it to be supported) with a 512gb samsung 970 nvme Evo and 32 gb ram
Installation went smoothly, after updating bios I just had to disable Modern Standby in Power management and disable Secure Boot in Boot in order to enable Legacy
About 14 tb of classical, jazz, blues, r&b, rock (mainly high def)

1 Like

What is the bios version in your NUC? I am having a problem Legacy activated in 10i7. Thanks

Now it’s 0044 (most recent version)
Remember, in order to enable Legacy you have first to disable Modern Standby and Secure Boot

1 Like

That was what I had but I had to repeat diabling Moden Standby and Secure Boot several times to get Legacy activated. Frustrating… Couldn’t have done it without your earlier postings. Thanks.

Completely new Roon user here - on day 2 of my trial.

I thought I’d roll my own Roon installation using ROCK instead of having basically the same thing with a $1400 nucleus. Read up on compatible NUCs, and went out and bought the supported NUC10i7FNH, 16BGB & a 1TB M.2 SSD. Upgraded BIOS to 0044 from 0032 and - after about 3 hours of getting the ducks lined-up (Modern Standby to enable Legacy Booting…who knew?) - appear to be running a very stable ROCK.

Fingers crossed. :crossed_fingers:

Incidentally, IMHO the folks at RoonLabs are pretty brilliant to allow folks to roll their own servers… the memberships naturally follow.