The ability to hide or disable songkick.com results

The aggregation of value adding content is one of the core functionalities: as I see it, it’s the heart and soul of Roon. Sometimes, the price of this will be attribution or linking, depending on the terms of use of the providers APIs.

I would hate future additions to Roon to be victimized to semantic discussions on advertising. I think we can safely trust the Roonies in tasteful execution.

2 Likes

There is a significant difference between a link that is attribution and a link that is a commerce-based one. No matter it’s value, and I like the value, the Songkick info crosses the line. I’m glad the info will be there but hidden.

For all of those in the “I too am having trouble understanding…” camp, I will say this:

Advertising is becoming more and more ubiquitous on the internet. It would seem some people are so used to having advertising be a part of their everyday life that they’re apparently baffled why anyone could possibly dislike advertising.

I have no problem with concert information. But I use the Roon software to relax and escape the advertising-stuffed internet while listening to music. That’s music. Not radio adds or commercials before a youtube video starts.

So to me, that ugly, garish, big red concerts by SONGKICK.COM banner ad is simply too high a price to pay for concert information. But it would seem that based on Danny’s description of the “fix”, I’ll still have to see it and and collapse it every time (instead of having a preference to have it collapsed by default). I guess the joke’s on me. :expressionless:

Actually, I am interpreting Danny’s fix is for us to be able to collapse it universally. That seems appropriate to me.

1 Like

I sure hope you’re right. Having to look at the ugly banner each time before hiding it would be silly. I already block songkick.com at my firewall. But in some listening environments, I don’t have access to the firewall.

The collapse/expand state will be sticky, even across restarts.

@phm: You appear to lack some basic, civil communication skills. Repeating your opinion over and over again in a loudmouth fashion does not entitle you to being ‘right’ – in the end it’s just another voice in the crowd.

It’s clear people value the trade-offs of the Songkick presence (logo and links included) differently. Far from ‘having trouble understanding’ your position, I quite simply disagree. And I’d hate future developments in Roon to be bullied into slowdown by a (very) vocal minority.

I think we’ve done this in a way that @phm will be OK with. As will other users who want to see concert data, even if they are using @phm’s Roon. We’ve also extended the idea to go past concerts and include collapsing of top tracks, which some have shown an annoyance towards. We’ll see how it is received, but I’m hoping all will be good with this.

1 Like

Thank you Danny

As with nearly all internet-enabled ventures, advertising has an insidious way of sneaking in eventually. Again, I never said I wanted to deprive anyone of the “attribution logo” (some like this term better than “ad banner”) and its associated content.

I look forward to seeing the implementation of the “opt-out”.

1 Like

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. Clearly, you and I use Roon for different reasons. I use it to relax and escape our crass commercial world.

And regarding your evaluation of my communication skills, that is clearly a personal attack and as such, is inappropriate to the forum.

Hi Danny

Sorry to flog the dead horse, but it should be clear by now that songkick.com is a commercial entity that aggregates internet traffic (clicks) to online ticket sellers. I understand that view that the logo is no big deal compared to the value of the information it presents. We’ll just have to agree to disagree on that point. And while your point about my snark is well taken, I seriously doubt you would be willing to state for Roon unequivocally that there will never be any additional future advertising (or “attribution logos” if you like) on the Roon interface.

It is the inevitability of endless proliferation of internet advertising that drives my desire to have a way to manage the display of unsolicited commercial speech.

I hope this is the explanation you were seeking.

Thanks again for your attention to this.

1 Like

No ad hominem intended – just stating the obvious from the tone of your posts. But no problem in agreeing to disagree.

That being said – collapsible sections seem to be an elegant and future-proof solution, steering clear of adding a myriad of toggles in preferences.

1 Like

I would rather see an option in the preferences pain to add, remove and reorder the items (albums, concerts, top tracks, etc) on the artist pages. This would keep the browsing experience cleaner and avoid having little arrows or buttons showing that an area is “collapsed”.

1 Like

I’m hoping Roon is looking to the future with this new feature. Giving users the ability to organize the way things are laid out on all the pages (not just the Artist page) makes the most sense and will be much more extensible in the future.

2 Likes

I’ve read this whole thread and have some sympathy with @phm’s position - hopefully this will help @danny to understand where some additional sensitivities lie. I am careful about the footprint I leave online and as I am paying for a service - Roon - I would prefer to be able to choose whether or not affiliated companies benefitted in ways that might not initially be obvious…getting their hands on my data, what I’ve looked at etc. I’d hate to have looked at a couple of song kick entries the night before and then be bombarded with gig adverts in browsers the next day because SK believed that I’m desperate to attend that Bucks Fizz 40 year reunion gig…or not as the case may be :smile: (in the same way that Amazon tries to sell me another toolkit via google etc, when I happen to have bought one the other night…or worse still my wife gets adverts for weekends away after I’ve tried to buy her a surprise treat).

That’s actually a good argument for keeping the song kick logo big - as a warning. Perhaps understandable given my sensitivities listed above (aka paranoia) I have to admit that the songkick content did jump out at me as being different and not really in keeping with the rest of the available content…dare I say advertorial in nature.

I do like the top tracks idea though - it’s just such a useful feature when getting into a new artist so at the end of the day, you ain’t going to please everyone. I don’t have any problem with lots of switches and options as long as they are categorised well and their descriptions are helpful. Above all a product that strives for as personal an experience as possible should really be possible today and a realistic goal within the usual parameters of profitability…but one that leaves that personalisation in the hands of the user rather than tries to predict usefulness.

Not trying to put words into @phm’s mouth but that’s how I interpreted the points that were raised along with some waffle from me ;-).

1 Like

Thanks so much for the -/+ to hide the concert section in v1.1. That setting carries across all artist pages. I’m very pleased to never have to see that garish “songkick.com” logo ever again!

1 Like