The ability to hide or disable songkick.com results

Who is “we”? Is there a group of people you’re speaking for here?

I’m looking only for a way to block the ads, not prevent you (and whomever you believe to be speaking for) from seeing them.

@phm You cannot deny you have been going on quite a bit with the words “Ads”, “Advertising” etc, probably 10-15 posts or more in this thread have you repeating the same words. I don’t think its necessary to keep on repeating it and I think the devs hear you. Personally I have no problem with it but I can see how some have no use for this information, so maybe a hide setting it the best way to go.

2 Likes

I hear you. You say “logo”, I say “advertisement”. There’s room for disagreement here, I hope.

I don’t think Roon has yet committed to doing anything about the web ads (or “logos”, if you like), but perhaps the decision will be made soon.

I’m not going to make any decision without thinking it through. I already said “I don’t mind adding an option to hide it”, and that followed with more discussion ideas.

If some are finding the logo too big or distracting, I’d like to fix that for those who don’t choose hide concerts. Same goes for concert data far away.

Maybe you’ve had a bad day @phm, but no one here deserves your snark (I’m talking about your suggestion to go all-advertising). I suggest a breather and then come back when you have more to say (besides ad ad ad). I asked you once already, but I’ve not actually heard anything out of you other than “So long as Roon gives me the means to disable all external content, that will be sufficient”. That’s not helping me understand anything, that’s just telling me what will make you happy. If that’s all you want to contribute, that’s fine and I’ll tally your vote.

I’ve not seen complaints about Record Labels, Instagram/Facebook links either, and based on your description, if we start providing links to record label websites, I’m not sure if it’ll upset your eyeballs.

There has also been requests to do logos for record labels, and we’ve started to get some data for them (although not enough to warrant a product change). Is that, by your definition, “advertising”?

Thanks @danny for listening and taking suggestions seriously. I’ve made it clear the difference I see with Songkick and the other icons. In the end it is not a big deal, but it is worth noting the difference, at least as I see it.

The UI is important. Too many distractions will not be good. Hard to know when that happens until it is too late. Thanks for refining it and thinking things through.

1 disgruntled subscriber making threats about not renewing versus hundreds who probably do not care and like seeing the information. I hope they leave it just to spite you, you are conveying so much anger over something the does not interfere with the Roon experience in any way at all, all the information is 100% relevant to what is being looked at.

I like seeing the Songkick information & have actually taken advantage of it already.

Music - played live - is the root of why we’re actually all here. If you don’t like live music, or don’t go to concerts, then shame on you !

I think most people are grown-up enough to use this information as they see fit - I didn’t buy my tickets from Songkick - I bought them from the local vendor that I’ve always used - but I’m glad that I was alerted by this feature in Roon.

A simple on / off option seems to be a pragmatic solution. If there are people who don’t like it, they can always “go elsewhere”…

It’s a good idea to use the @ function @robbbby and @rolski when talking about other users so folks don’t get confused. If I wasn’t confident of the way I have behaved in this discussion I would think you are telling me to “go elsewhere”.

1 Like

Everyone - @phm is not proposing to turn off Songkick, just have a non-default user-changable option to hide it in the artist details.

While this isn’t a bad idea, I’m trying to figure out where to draw the line now, and in the future. What I really need is feedback from someone who wants Songkick hidden, to help me draw that line.

Those who are good with songkick results, don’t worry. Nothing will change for you, and new concert features will come later.

Well, other things I would love:

1. Have a section displaying the artists complete discography. Albums not owned are faded/greyed out. Clicking on a greyed out album takes you to the store of your choice for purchase.

2. Social connections between users, for example, if I am going to see Herbie Hancock this weekend in France, I could indicate such and see if others from the Roon community are going as well (of course you can always turn off social sharing if you want).

3. Allow Roon users to share collection information between each other, playlists, tidal recommendations, etc

4. Hardware discounts for Roon users :grinning: from Roon partners.

To keep on topic, I would not see any of the above suggestions as advertisements.

Anyway there is a lot you can do with Roon it depends on the vision of the founders. Roon could be just a way of playing music files on your computer, or, it could be a platform to tie your whole musical life together.

1 Like

I prefer Roon to be a platform to play my music from with additional artist information on as clean an interface as possible without social and retail connections. The social media icons aren’t intrusive. But basically everything @rugby suggested is intrusive to me and not what I paid for.

There are many ways Roon could go. I look forward to the way the owners choose and will be fine if Roon ends up being not for me.

But I would appreciate a roadmap since we are paying for annual and/or lifetime subscriptions.

2 Likes

I have the same feelings as @fritzg, I really want Roon just to be an awesome piece of software to play music with a beautful, clean interface. I personally do not want a social or retail connection at all (there are already a ton of places a person can buy or be social with). Please not in my music player.

More importantly, the best SQ you can achieve above all others :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Songkick is useful for tracking down upcoming bootlegs too…

As an avid Autechre fan (who, as a band don’t care about bootlegs of live gigs and encourage free not for profit distribution) I use songkick as a way of tracking their live shows and downloading them off the internet. Its also nice to see that Roon Picks up this metadata from wherever it is scraped from and al presented nice and purdy.

Very happy with Roon, I finally got my John Zorn cd collection (186 CDs) and I can really dig deep into the wide and prolific and gigging musicians he works with, when you have artists with very long collaborative and mostly live session careers the whole songkick thing makes sense.

Ha! I went to a gig last night purely because of songkick. It’s quite amazing when you think to yourself, this band never plays live and in fact they are playing all the time. Block booked some gigs while on holiday in Seattle later this year as well thanks to songkick. This is more gigs than I have been to in years. Another way Roon has changed my way of exploring music. I needed to get out more. I love this software. It’s about the only reason I would use a computer in this day and age.

1 Like

we are implementing a way to collapse concerts on the artist details page, which includes hiding that logo some of you find offensive.

expect this in the next build.

3 Likes

I know in love the concert info

Could you please make the logo a little bit larger for the rest of us?

ducks…

2 Likes

The logo isn’t “offensive” to me. It’s the idea of an ad in a program I pay for. I don’t want ads about the music sounding better from PS Audio on their equipment or from Acoustic Sounds that I might enjoy the DSD of Let it Bleed. All these are logical extensions in Roon and would be fine if the program were free. Since I am paying for it, I don;t want to presented with any commercial opportunities in the main interface.

So, to be clear, it is not a logo, but the invitation to spend money on another product that I don’t want to see in a program I pay to use.

2 Likes

I’d love to see a “Concerts” section be larger than the current logo. It could have tour listings and links to Setlist for historical concerts.

[quote=“danny, post:19, topic:2208”]
I am having trouble understanding your point of view… and clearly this is something you feel strongly about, so I’d like to know what the core idea here is.
[/quote]@phm I too have trouble understanding your point of view and don’t understand the strength of your hate for what I find interesting information. I find it useful to see that musicians are actually playing live and feel it adds to the whole ROON experience.

3 Likes