The best ethernet streamer for Roon

Despite not being “a fancy streamer”, that is still quite fancy delivery. But it is necessary given that you use HQ Player.

I would also recommend LUMIN U1, U1/2 mini streamers for your system. I’ve had my LUMIN U1 for a couple of years and it is a great component with aluminum billet case and linear power supply. Going from Nucleus to the U1 via Ethernet has been without problems.
I’ve always avoided stacking components but I have a M-Scaler and Qutest sitting on top with no problems.
@wklie, LUMIN may produce a U2 but I doubt they will stop production of a premium streamer all together. They might even provide an upgrade through their dealer system. Who knows. If your system progression allows, I would recommend the U1 because I would buy it again, today.

3 Likes

Highly recommended for consideration.

3 Likes

As mentioned excellent performance in a not so expensive version is the combo iFi ZEN stream with the iFi iPower Elite power supply. Or a LUMIN if you like to spend more and also got some upgrade options left.

Seems off topic?

Well, it’s more than a pure streamer indeed. So if OP’s goal is to find an internet streamer, you are correct its slightly off topic.

If OP’s goal is to deliver an as perfect as possible synchronous data stream to the DAC, then this is probably current state of the art (IMO)…

We’re still talking about an Ethernet connection here, right?

Yes ethernet to synchronous data stream…

So no USB out?

Not a Roon partner, so if there’s Roon trouble you’re on your own.

Also, I find this quote from the review disturbing, as far as Roon goes -

Good luck with that the next Roon makes an extensive update.

Did Grimm update their code for Roon V2.0?

1 Like

With all kinds of respect and not to diss you but please take a listen to the Grimm Audio MU1 on a (more then) decent set. Then please return to this topic and maybe you will change and/or rephrase your answer.

1 Like

Running 2.0 on my MU1 without any problems. Also the portforwarding for ARC works flawless.

This is the right answer!

And it’s the right answer because, as all audiophiles know, it costs the most money!!

Grimm where a partner I believe until they ended the core partner program. As it runs the core and uses its ability to output it doesn’t need to be Roon Ready. So not sure what not to trust.

It advertises itself as a Core and as an Endpoint.

As a Core it is probably running a Celeron J1900. One can’t really say because, like other vendors who advertise that they can run Core, Grimm doesn’t give any specs as to what CPU it’s using. Probably not even something as much as an i3, so there’s that.

It advertises that can also be an endpoint and by that I take it to mean it is Roon Ready. So, it should be on the partner’s list, but isn’t. It was suggested by a poster as an answer to the question of what could be a streamer.

The Grimm website also states that is has partnered with Roon, which is no longer (?) true. Pretty sure Roon would be surprised to know they were partnered with Grimm. It is in past tense, so I guess that could be a CYA.

And then there is the quote by the reviewer mentioned above which talks about Grimm not being satisfied with Linux or Roon offerings and writing their code from the ground up. Whatever that means.

It actually has a nuci7 same as nucleus I believe. They did partner with Roon and that did not change because they ended the program past tense or not.

I’d have to see those specs somewhere.

Doesn’t change the fact that, in spite of what Grimm says, it isn’t currently a Roon partner and any trouble with being used as a Roon endpoint will be on Grimm to straighten out.

Correction it’s an i3 not an i7. No vendors for any servers have any official programme any more yet they get supported. I very much doubt that they have dropped support for all previous members of the core programme. Please provide evidence that they have as users of such seem to still get support on here from support.

I am not talking about support for erstwhile Core partners, a program that Roon has long ago dropped.

I’m talking about support for using the Grimm as an endpoint and for that they must be on the partner’s list.

Also, about the Core partner’s program and to use Innnuos as an example, @danny has specifically stated that they were once Core partners, but are no longer supported by Roon in that role.

1 Like