The Beta Channel: what's cooking? Now at 4.019 (2021/11/13)

Working on it.

Thank you for fixing it!! 3.035 works

1 Like

3.046 (2021/01/04)

Finally! Bluetooth support!

Djeez this was a lot of work. Anyhow, for now this only works on a Pi 4.

It’s rather simple: On an XL there’s now an additional tab labelled ‘Bluetooth’ (again, only on a Pi 4).
There you can simply enable the output and you’re good to go.

4 Likes

The output? So this is for connecting a bluetooth speaker or headphones?

1 Like

The Pi acts like bluetooth receiver.

But you still need to configure weather you use an USB DAC or HAT (just like the other XL services).

2 Likes

Interesting!

When would this connection be preferred, or when would someone choose to use it? I’ve always assumed BT sound quality to be inferior to WiFi (and wired ethernet, obviously).

It is. I would never use it :wink:

But I got soooo many questions about bluetooth support that I decided to build it anyhow.
If I knew upfront how much this would have been I’ve never would have implemented it :wink:

But, for guests for example, it is kinda cool that they can stream content to your device without the need of any kind of subscription or whatever.

2 Likes

Thanks !
I can confirm it is working until now, at least.
This feature is what I’ve been looking for !
For me it is useful to send audio from my notebook directly to the RPi Roon Bridge, without attaching headphones to it.

Really excited to see this, Harry, thanks for all your hard work. Do you think you’re likely to make it available on the RPi3B in the future or too early to tell? I might look at replacing if not, but would prefer the lower running temp on the RPi3 with an Amp HAT.

1 Like

Would be nice to see on the 3B yes but with XL supporting Shairplay and Librespot I would think most of my house guests would see the wifi connection (those I trust on the non guest network anyway) and be able to play to the setups I have. BT would bypass guest restriction on wifi then I guess.

For me the biggest ifssue is volume after Roon leaves the RPi with a lower level say over dinner time then in the morning my wife wants some music in the same area but its too low for her to hear a distance away in the kitchen.

Do you think the XL options will ever get some ALSA control to up the volume Harry?

They have ALSA control. Hardware mixer is supported on many HAT’s already.

This doesn’t seem to work on the IQAudIO DigiAMP+ and DACPro hats as far as I can tell - volume is limited to whatever Roon left it at - increasing it in Roon is possible of course but most of my guests dont have Roon nor know how to use it.

does this mean I have to replace all my IQAudIO hats that dont seem to support it? or maybe there are updates?

@Gordon_Garrity I hope IQAudIO still frequent this community.

No, as mentioned when I released support for hardware mixers, I need the information for all HAT’s. And I don’t have that for all HAT’s.

So if you have an IQAudio then send me the feedback of one of those units and I can add the proper mixer to the configuration.

consider it done. Ill PM you the details - thanks Harry.

1 Like

The IQaudio RAAT firmware supports fixed or variable output (it’s needed for the amp).

FYI - The raspberry pi foundation acquired the IQaudio designs last year.

Oh congrats I guess.

RAAT output volume yes…

On 3.046, I now see 2 renderers on the same device with different names ( second one is a non-OpenHome one), is this expected?

Hi,

Yes it’s expected. For compatibility reasons the UPnP component provides 2 endpoints making the distinction between the OpenHome version and the ‘regular’ UPnP version.

Thanks

ps: I’m preparing an update that will include the ‘plgproxymethod’ setting as requested.

1 Like

As well as guests, one fun option for BT, I think, is the potential to easily link an Echo Dot.

hmmm… just trying to envision how this would work (or what the purpose might be)…