The Beta Channel: what's cooking? Now at 4.019 (2021/11/13)

2.553 (2020/07/16)

• disable USB auto suspend
  • minor label change in web interface
  • prepare switch to new server infrastructure

2.563 (2020/07/19)

• some last bits for switching over to the new server infra

2.565 (2020/07/20)

• kernel update

So ideally this is it for the next release. Some final testing the coming days and then I’m going to release it.

@spockfish, this last update went less well for me. I ended up having to pull the power in order to rescue the device. Memory usage went to 400MB.

Maybe extend the testing period by a few days just in case?

Memory usage doesn’t say that much. As it is running in ram (including temporary storage) the usage can spike.

After you pulled the power, was it actually updated?

Can you send me feedback from that specific unit?

Thanks

just as a datapoint all mine updated with no issues even one back as far 2509 that I had on a spare card for RPi-3 no hat.

2 Likes

Hello Harry. Yes, it updated after a few more reboots. The memory was going up at a slope of 1, and eventually networking was lost (erratic pings, unable to view web GUI or SSH in). Maybe it was hardware, maybe just blip, but certainly not the normal update experience.

Sorry about the extraneous log entries.

892053c7759b0ff3

Hmmm… the file empty.
I’m wondering if this unit is not borked and needs a reflash.

Can you try again?

New feedback: 9b7be18ef87d6621 No issues since last night.

I’ll re-flash once the new build is out. Thanks Harry.

2.570 (2020/07/29)

• initial support for USB auto suspend

It’s not yet exposed in the webinterface, but you can enable it manually by going in

/etc/ropieee.conf

and set the variable

rp_audio_usb_autosuspend

to

"1"

Save and exit the file and run the following command:

/opt/RoPieee/sbin/configure

And you’re done.

ping @Bill_Janssen

2 Likes

2.572 (2020/08/04)

• expose USB auto suspend in the web interface
  • [XL] fix sporadic crash while playing audio via Shairport-Sync

I"m going to push this to release shortly, as the Airplay issue is a real pain for some users.

1 Like

Just tried the autosuspend switch. Seems to work.

2 Likes

@spockfish Harry can you provide a small write up in a dedicated thread here as to how this works and what it’s intended to achieve … I’m not sure I have seen any details on it specifically

1 Like

The USB standard supports USB power suspend. This means that, if devices aren’t in use, power can be disabled from the unit. As soon as the device is being addressed it powers back on.

There are (very limited) DAC’s that support this, resulting in the DAC powering down when you’re not playing music which is a neat feature.

However, by default this is disabled because there are quite a few devices out there that ‘get confused’ about this. Some folks had hacks running in RoPieee to achieve this, so I thought it would be better to support this formally.

My reason for asking is sleep on the lumin D1 and other models supports a usb power off too and I use this to trigger my amps on and off when the unit goes to sleep. I’m wondering if this is going to work for any USB ports that are on the pi or just the one specific to a dac being on one port. Could it work for a dac hat playing too? I sometimes have 2 or more dacs on one RPi as different zones too

This is only related to USB power, and because of (many) issues with all kinds of other USB devices it only powers down an USB port which has a DAC hooked up to it.

It’s an interesting thought, though. One could imagine a USB-powered relay that when powered up would either trigger a 12v trigger, or maybe even just switch power on to an amp. Using the auto-suspend to drive that would be sweet.

I use a usb dc-dc inverter to get 9/12vdc low current but it’s pretty effective, just add a 3.5mm connection to it and plug right into the amp trigger or even preamp trigger or I guess even a dac trigger too

1 Like

Yeah, that would work on auto-suspend, too.

I was thinking of hooking the USB power leads directly to something like this:

2.574 (2020/08/14)

Web polish.

Switching browsers has some ‘advantages’ :wink:

1 Like