The Last Beatle Song - Now and Then

The surviving members of The Beatles have announced their so-called final song “Now and Then” is set to be released November 2. But the lead-up is being overshadowed by their decision to use artificial intelligence technology to provide the late John Lennon’s voice — though not through “generative” AI.

–MD

Why the negative spin? It’s using guitar parts recorded by George Harrison before he died, and John Lennon’s vocal extracted from a cassette demo using a smart bit of audio processing. It might not be the best Beatles song ever, but I’d still like to hear it…

5 Likes

Absolutely for sure. Like every other Beatle recording, you know the quality of recording is going to be top notch.

–MD

–MD

5 Likes

They’ve used machine learning to extract a clean vocal from a tape that had Lennon singing and playing piano. The AI spin is a misdirection.

Personally I’m looking forward to hearing it.

4 Likes

The “Fab Two” have decided not to Let It Be evidently. As long as I can hear Yoko singing in the background I’m in :+1:

1 Like

The time for such horrors was two days ago, Halloween.

2 Likes

FYI everyone, Qobuz only received the release today. Consequently, the single will not be streamable from Qobuz via Roon today. Perhaps tomorrow, but it’s likely that it will be Sunday.

3 Likes

Absolutely unbelievable that we should have to wait for this epic life changing piece of art to grace our ear holes.
Kidding
To think that I had to wait for vinyl to arrive at the farm in Minnesota via the post, how did I survive with only a little PTSD?

2 Likes

Are you referring to the cover? Words fail me. Well actually “Powerpoint template” comes to mind. :frowning:

3 Likes

Fabulous name…………for a thrift shop. Let’s hope what’s underneath the bonnet is a step up, shouldn’t be too hard.

Now you’re making me go to Qobuz to get my fix.

Edit: Interesting exercise I suppose. Seems Phil Spector was involved as well, he got on with John well back in the day.

1 Like

Ok, I see that it is available on Tidal and Roon.

–MD

1 Like

Except when Spector fired a revolver in the studio while using the talkback system. John had some thoughts about that. :confounded:

2 Likes

After the Revolver album Phil was never the same, but to be fair it was often hard to get John’s full attention.

Drugs and guns are a sure recipe for disaster.

Discharging a firearm in an enclosed space without hearing protection would leave you about deaf for at least 24 hours, Phil’s best work undoubtedly

So funny. It’s in Dolby Atmos. Hope John approved :person_facepalming:

2 Likes

When you posted this, I was reading about Atmos on Amazon Music and Apple Music. I have been listening to Atmos from Tidal thru Shield Pro for a while now. Sure wish Roon would move on this.

I guess I’m going to fire up Tidal on my Shield and see if it is available.

–MD

I just took a quick break to watch the short film about the track that @MikeD posted above in this thread. It’s so nice to have the backstory on this particular number and have them fill in how John’s voice was isolated and extracted so the song could be completed.

More importantly, the song is truly lovely - as were the other pieces that were released with The Anthology all those years ago. It genuinely has the feel of a completed piece, the production is perfect -which is all the more amazing considering the audio wizardry involved in making this happen - and the musicianship is just as tasteful as one could hope for.

John could write lyrics about walking to the bog and still make them work vocally when he was at his best. On its face, a song about a relationship that seems to be fading, but there’s a real sense of peace in John’s voice (to me). It’s not bereft with longing and sadness. A simple but universal message, he was so gifted at that.

Sri George is there on guitar as well, and the recently added bits by Paul and Ringo fall wonderfully and skillfully into place.

I’m entirely smitten by it.

6 Likes

Very nice summary of it all.

As you probably already know the release is made up of 2 songs. It is as if it were like a 45 single with 2 songs.
As @AMT posted above I read for the first time that the 2nd song released with this set was their 1st song that was released in 1962 and this new song is their final release with Now and Then.

–MD

2 Likes

A perfect ending, isn’t it, Mike? The song choices mirror the title of the new single elegantly. I’m sure I’ll end up spinning it a few more times today.

2 Likes

So Giles did the strings arrangement in actuality. I’ll have to give it a few more tries when it finally :joy: gets to Roon.

1 Like